The Super Smash Bros. 4 General Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Share Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo 3DS) friend codes, online trades and chat live.

User Poll - Which version of SSB4 will you be getting?

Wii U
3DS
Both

SirLink said:
Just how many trophies will the Wii U version have then? o.O A trophy shop will be really nice to combat the randomness a bit. I know in Brawl it was a pain to get that last sticker I was missing for ages.

With Sakurai on the job, nobody should have ever expected that the 3DS version wouldn't be crammed full with all kinds of stuff. That's just how he works, and Kid Icarus: Uprising had no shortage of that, either.

hope the Wii U version has more trophies than the 3DS version, but considering Sakurai wants to treat both versions similarly maybe the Wii U version will stay around the same numbers.

The thing that surprises me is, a 3DS cart is just much smaller than Brawl's disc was. I wasn't expecting this much content for it at all, even though there's way less music.

Pic of the Day time!

Image for

Pic of the day. "♪Ba-ding!♪"
If you turn on the 3D effect, it really looks like there's a Game Boy inside the screen.

Nice, a GameBoy stage! I wonder if every character with get a sepia-type colour like Dedede and Kirby have? Would be pretty neat to play on a GameBoy stage with GameBoy-like character colours.

( Edited 08.08.2014 17:13 by SuperLink )

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

I wonder if they'll be obstacles from various classic Gameboy games, like Tetris blocks falling down or some enemies from Super Mario Land,

People have been streaming the final release copies on Twitch! Duck Hunt Dog is real! Wario, mah boi, is real!, Dr Mario is real and Mr Game and Watch! I just hope the leaker wasn't lying about Dixie Kong (still waiting on confirmation)

Alph from Pikmin also got announced (he's a re-skin of Olimar basically, but has his own name on the battle screen.

I don't think Dixie's real at all.

There were one or two people claiming they had a copy at the time the REAL leaker was leaking stuff, and made up more names... The whole thing got confusing as shit.

I don't get why clones are still getting in after Sakurai said they wanted to reduce them. Then we get Alph? How is Alph better than Dixie?

The Miiverse post confuses me a bit - is he a separate slot on the char screen, or is he like one of the four costumes?

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

jb said:
The Miiverse post confuses me a bit - is he a separate slot on the char screen, or is he like one of the four costumes?
Hmm...the way he mentions the character slot makes me think separate character... BUT he could be trolling and what actually happens is you change Olimar's costume to 'Alph' and it will appear on the screen under that name instead of 'Olimar.'

With the Bowser Jr. Koopaling alts, I think this is definitely the case now that he's like a costume alt of Olimar.

It would be very possible for them to have a Dixie alt for Diddy, and a Daisy alt for Peach in the same way. It's not perfect, but I would happily take that.

( Edited 11.09.2014 15:12 by Azuardo )

Alph is a costume, rather than a full separate character.

Also worth mentioning that the new "clone" characters are also minimal effort, costumes with slightly different attack effects and so took a fraction of the time a unique character would take to create. I think they were probably not planned at all before development and were only put in because they had the time to implement them.

Lastly, the final roster has been leaked, and there aren't any more characters that weren't in the leak ):

We don't know about dlc ofc but I'm not confident there's gonna be character dlc.. that's more of a "wait and see" kinda thing.

So.... anyone have any demo codes? Smilie

Not me Smilie

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

Sorry guys, wish I had gotten more to hand out. Smilie

For those of us with the demo, what do you guys think so far? I love how fluid the game is and the characters feel awesome, especially villager who is just a brutal killing machine. Mega man is a little tricky to get the hang of though, as are the controls at first. :/

I'm going to put this out there - why do people want to play as Ridley anyway?

Feels really good so far, my main problem is still getting used to the different controls. I always used the corresponding shoulder button for left/right rolls, which obviously doesn't work here because L grabs. I also tend to forget that either the jump buttons or shoulder buttons exist, but it's mostly fighting muscle memory right now. I was thinking of trying to press up to jump instead, but that's a habit I definitely don't want to get into for the Wii U version.

No idea what the obsession with Ridley is, jb. I know Metroid deserves another rep, but it feels like Ridley is only in the spotlight because there's really not much else. Dark Samus with a very different moveset (Phazon moves etc.) still seems like a far better choice to me. Well, unless you want this...

Image for

( Edited 13.09.2014 10:10 by SirLink )

Heck, I'd rather have MBD over Ridely, personally. Just imagine his taunt "Remember me?" *Helmet visor lifts up*

The demo is a great taster, I'm actually a little bit surprised at just how good it is. I expected it to be awesome, but I wasn't always 100% sure how it'd be on a handheld. It feels great though! I'm the same as others, I'm finding it a little hard to adjust to the 3DS controls, I'm so used to playing with the GC controller, too. I think with some practice though, it'll eventually click. I love how smooth it runs, and it looks lovely, visually! The Villager was my favourite character in the demo, he/she is so much fun to play. Smilie

( Edited 13.09.2014 11:04 by Marzy )

It's that L-button that annoys me, and the jump mapped to X.

And Villager (default skin) is so you Marz!

Our member of the week

SirLink said:
Dark Samus with a very different moveset (Phazon moves etc.) still seems like a far better choice to me.

She's an assist trophy instead here :/. A space pirate might be a good choice and leave the door open to more moves ? They've been seen jumping, kicking, using shields to protect themselves, shooting... I say there's room for an original character there.

I noticed too that in order to run, some textures are displayed unfiltered (Playstation 1 style) but not all of them. Still looks very blocky up-close if you pause, but in the thick of action, from afar, it's totally unnoticeable.

( Edited 13.09.2014 11:10 by RudyC3 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

I think Ridley is just a really (weirdly) popular character, and the Smash hype surrounding him on every release is so stubborn that it's actually really enjoyable. People are like super dedicated to him, maybe they just really wanna play as a Space Dragon? P:

He's arguably the biggest major recurring villain in Metroid and he's got a very unique build as far as characters go... but... he's...

I don't really like Dark Samus as a character, so it being an AT and Samus having a Dark Samus colour is totally fine by me. I don't necessarily think Metroid needs another rep, but I think DK deserved one. :/

Speaking of mourning for things we didn't get;

Lol I guess he could have perhaps been a modified Charizard in some ways?

Nnnnnnnnnngh amazing.

Nice arrangement:

I'd love to see the reactions if Ridley got in but was pretty much a Charizard clone.

Loving the drum work in this one!

Also awesome, I love the rock vibe without the metal drums (if you know what I mean) - absolutely loathe double kick drum/metal drumming.

Full Spirit Tracks / Overworld theme - love it!

Bit of a shame how a lot of Melee/Brawl tracks are being recycled in this version - not confident the music will be as meaty as it was in Brawl this time round. Hmm...

And spoiler - new character's final smash...

Yeah, there's so much recycled music from Brawl (which is a bit disappointing), the new tracks are amazing though. I wonder if the Wii U version will have more original tracks/remixes.

Marzy said:
Yeah, there's so much recycled music from Brawl (which is a bit disappointing), the new tracks are amazing though. I wonder if the Wii U version will have more original tracks/remixes.

Infact, a lot of franchises don't have a single new track in the 3DS version, just music from Brawl/their original games.

• Metroid
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby only has 1 new track and 6 tracks ripped from Brawl/his games
  • Fire Emblem
  • Xenoblade
  • Sonic
  • Pictochat
    (spoiler franchises: )

Tons of franchises don't have new music at all. The 3DS version seems kinda messy in places, what with how many franchises don't get a new stage or music.

Some of the new music is amazing though.. this Zekrom/Reshiram Battle music, and Pac-Man's Park/Block Town are my favs so far.

( Edited 14.09.2014 11:02 by SuperLink )

Anyone notice that the Level 9 CPUs seem to act a lot smarter, especially in a 1vs1 situation? I've been practising against one Level 9 CPU with no items and they are surprisingly competent enemies most of the time. Pikachu was cancelling out of its Thunder animation in mid-air (?) so it'll still hinder me a second later while it tries to attack me directly. They're also far better at guarding/rolling/grabbing, heck, they even try to do some combos on you if you're not careful. It's been a while since I played against CPUs in Brawl, but I don't recall them being all that competent.

The Pac-Man music is amazing, I loved that track in the Pac-Man reveal trailer! I'm so happy it's in the 3DS version. Smilie

Would anybody happen to have a spare super smash bros 3DS code, please PM me if so, I really appreciate it Smilie

How are you all finding the game so far? Smilie

My copy only arrived this morning - had to stay at work till late last night (amazon said max 9pm delivery), they said they turned up by no-one was in!

Faves so far: Little Mac, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, Mario, Zero Suit Samus.

Comment on Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo 3DS)

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Developer

Bandai Namco

Publisher

Nintendo

Genre

Fighting

Players

C3 Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10

Reader Score

Rated $score out of 10  9/10 (6 Votes)

European release date Out now   North America release date Out now   Japan release date Out now   Australian release date Out now    Also on Also on Nintendo eShop
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Insanoflex

There are 1 members online at the moment.