Scottish Independence

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Feels like its been a good long while since we've had any real discussion of anything beyond gaming here. As an American, I'd love to hear more about it from people who are actually in the middle of this.

So what's your opinion on the referendum? How does your local area feel? Discuss!

I'm hoping Scotland votes Yes. London controls mostly everything in the UK and I'm a believer that the more you break things down - i.e. overpowered governments like Westminster - the more power you bring to the people who need it. As it is, Scotland can't choose so much of what it wants. When Scotland voted a majority in favour of Labour in the last general election, the Tories and Lib Dems in London formed a coalition government to stop Labour remaining in power - London essentially screwed over what Scotland voted for. Course, this applied to the rest of the UK where Labour was a majority vote, but it's more affecting when an entire country's vote is essentially cancelled out by the unfavoured parties.

Scotland has a chance now to be free from nuclear weapons, pointless wars with other countries, all sorts of bullshit laws London keeps putting into practice - it has the chance to be free. It doesn't mean it shuts itself off from the UK and rest of the world; it just means the Scottish people can do what's best for themselves, instead of being controlled by posh toffs all the way down in London, who don't give a flying fuck what Scottish people want for their own country.

I envy Scotland having this opportunity, because the same situation applies to Wales. I'd say we're a bit more heavily reliant on needing England right now, though, and we're probably still a good 50+ years away from perhaps trying to vote for independence like Scotland is today. I'd say we're probably not ready to go it alone yet, but when I see how many other tiny nations exist, I don't see why not. It might happen one day, but not yet. If Scotland does vote Yes, though, I think it'll start churning the gears in Wales a little faster.

I don't know the entire score, but if Scotland do go independent, can they survive without the Union (in terms of finances?)

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

I wasn't really sure of the benefits to it at first, and admittedly I haven't really been following it in the news or anything (I hardly watch the news these days, it's too depressing).

However, after reading Az's post, he makes a lot of good points on why Scotland should be independent and I'd hope they vote yes, for sure. I'd jump at the chance to get out of wars, nuclear weapons and all that sort of stuff.

hope they vote No! there are to many questions un answered. what currency will they use? what happens to pentions? will they still have access to uk nhs facilities? schooling? these are just a few of the basic questions that have not been answered fully and there are many more in subjects that the general public have not thought about.

the thing is once they are out there is no coming back and i woulld hate to see scotland go through what ireland went through in relation to the countries finances. i read somewhere that scotlands out goings are alot more than their incomings- oil aside.

i dont profess to know everything about this referendum but from what i have read and seen i dnt think scotland is ready. the debate on wednesday mmay change my mind and it will be intresting to see if the answers are there to the endless questions 

I have soooo many thoughts on this that I really don't know where to start.

Firstly I do believe that Scotland can survive as an independent country, but they will have to make sacrifices somewhere and I suspect it will be a more expensive place to live as a whole. The YES campaign have basically said that everything will be better once they go independent, which is a blatant lie. They think that being in control of "job creation" (whatever that means) or public health will somehow automatically create more jobs and more money for healthcare. More local is something people support, but ultimately it's more inefficient. 

It annoys me when people say "Westminster control everything", as if they mean that the South of England controls everything. BULLSHIT. Westminster is the whole of the UK voting on issues. It's like saying "the UK controls the UK". Is that a bad thing? Thought not. 

There's also a sense that fundamental things haven't been sorted out. Can Scotland join the EU quickly? Can they use the pound? etc. It's almost silly to have a referendum when so many basic issues about what will happen aren't sorted.

I also want to mention that the campaigns seem to be quite decisive. So many Scots desperately want independence and so many desperately don't. Then there's a few English people annoyed at the Scots gaining more powers (when they already have an unfair vote on many issues) and people in other regions (Cornwall, N. Ireland, Wales) also itching for independence. I suspect a YES vote will cause more debate on other regions leaving, and a NO vote will probably lead to another referendum in 20 years.

I don't know the entire score, but if Scotland do go independent, can they survive without the Union (in terms of finances?)

The thing is that no-one really knows. They have oil, but exactly how much is a big topic. My personal opinion is that they'll survive just fine on their own, assuming they make some sensible sacrifices (for example, they probably won't be able to have free Uni education as they do now). The YES campaign have basically said that Scottish people will have more money and a more equal society without any cuts to anything or any tax increases, with in reality is not going to be possible.

( Edited 17.09.2014 19:25 by Cheesing It Up )

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Insanoflex

There are 1 members online at the moment.