Info Profile: RVallant (hello!)

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Edit: So the forums cut off the top of my post for whatever reason...Introduction:

I'm Rob (also known as Oda/Vallant), I'm contributing some reviews here, based in Wales, rain country at the moment!

Genres I like Reviewing:

1) Visual Novels / Eroge Games

Hold your horses with the judgemental point and laughs!!!
I grew up with a friend at school who was a native from Hong Kong so he used to bring translated games from Asia in this genre, including the adult titles. So I've played these since the 90's and know the differences and what to look out for.
I do feel that the non-adult ones are finally being accepted in the mainstream, a good 20 years too late to be honest. The Adult ones are hit and miss but I think the genre itself is one of the most controversial in terms of topic and theme and you can get some fantastic storylines here.
For example, Kara No Shoujo is easily one of the best ever crime noir stories I've ever read and it has graphic representation of murders that would probably be banned on any other game genre.

2) Point and Click Adventure

I grew up on things like Broken Sword and some of the Sierra Entertainment games. I wouldn't go so far to say I'm amazing at them but I do enjoy them.

3) Turn Based Tactical/Strategy

Again, grew up on old classics such Panzer General and quite a few JRPGs in the same vein as Final Fantasy Tactics. 

4) RPGs

Name it, I've probably played it. I grew up on Baldur's Gate (if you haven't played it, go do so now!) and I've always been a fan of the plot that developers include in their games. I converted to JRPGs around the golden generation time, when stuff like Grandia, Final Fantasy and so on came along on the PlayStation, and yes, I mourn the fact that Japanese Developers can't seem to get to grips with the modern day auidience, if anything the storylines in modern JRPGs are cringe-worthy, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for a revival of Vandal Hearts and Suikoden one day.

5) Management / Simulation games

No, not the Sims. Stuff like Transport Tycoon (haven't played it? Go get the opensource Deluxe version), where the creation and the journey and the planning was its own reward. 
I also muck about on the awful, awful, awful Football Manager series, which, is like crack, but is such a flawed game that I do wish some reviewers would give it a dressing down. Smilie But I'm an addict and I need my fix so...

What I hate, should be cautious of reviewing:

1) FPS

Don't get me started. A good FPS however, is worth its weight in gold. I'm a huge fan of Wolfenstein: The New Order, it would easily win my vote for GOTY, just love it. Anything else though, bleurgh, boring!

2) Indie Titles

Ok, catch-all term, I'm not against indie titles I just can't stand the games that get produced by them. If its an indie platformer, shoot em up or whatever, its going to have to be amazing to even get my attention. That said, I do like some of the concepts that have come up; Dead State is on my wishlist, so too is kickstarted game; The Mandate (I recommend googling both, they look to be absolutely amazing games).

3) Early Access

I won't touch this, on principle. Want my money? Make the game and don't force a pay-to-beta model. I honestly think Early Access is a bad thing for both the gamer and the developer, and I've seen the fallout from Space Station DF9 or whatever it was called, a very good warning about the risks of Early Access imo.

4) Real Time Strategy

I'm old... My reactions aren't what they used to be, and I've never found this genre to evolve out of 'spam unit production' until 'unleash the horde!'
Some exceptions though; Dawn Of War which, gave the genre a facelift and eventually went to a Real-Time Tactical game, much love there, but god damn do I hate it when developers just dump a 'personal' hero in favour of some generic spesh marine! Force Commander Oda was amazing, but no, he and by extension me, no longer exist in the series. Smilie

What I like:

Hit me up for football, sports, whatever. General chit chat and discussion is always good. ]_]

That's me,

-Rob Smilie

( Edited 20.10.2014 16:55 by RVallant )

Hello Rob! Welcome Smilie Enjoy the site Smilie

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Welcome again! Thanks for the reviews so far.

Where bouts in Wales you at? Hope you're supporting the boys in the Euro qualifiers! Loving being top of the group atm...just hope we can get a result at Belgium...

Azuardo said:
Welcome again! Thanks for the reviews so far.

Where bouts in Wales you at? Hope you're supporting the boys in the Euro qualifiers! Loving being top of the group atm...just hope we can get a result at Belgium...

Was originally in Cardiff for Uni, but I've moved over to Carmarthen for the missus. Could be interesting if Wales qualify, but I don't rate Coleman at all haha.

They defo went through a bad patch prior to the campaign, but considering the insane amount of injuries Wales has had lately, and that they're over performing in the group, I can't be too critical at this moment. Highest FIFA ranking for 20 years, too (I know rankings are a bit shit, but it's a good sign). Just hope we get a strong enough squad for Belgium... It's sad to think Bale and Ramsey hardly ever play together. Gotta keep thinking positively, though! Even if we don't get a point, there's every chance they can qualify. Plenty of games to go. All I want is Wales to make it to a major during my lifetime and I'll die a happy man : D Just wish they'd play the odd game up north, and I'd go and support them.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz

There are 1 members online at the moment.