Favourite Audio in Games

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Hello C3! It has been a long time, I wonder if there's anybody about who'll remember me, as I've been a sporadic user in the last three or four years. But I suddenly felt the urge to get involved in some gaming discussion. I recently finished a music degree so I finally caved and bought a PS4 as I really like the look of the November line-up - Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity and GTAV in first person. I'm also planning on buying a Wii U at Christmas for my younger cousin, so I will pay close attention to the fall line-up for that.

Having finished a music degree, I'm looking to get into video-game audio a little more. I've set myself a short-term target of building a cool sample library of interesting video-game sounds, so I was wondering what everyone's favourite sound bites are from video-games of old (or more recent!) I grew up with Nintendo so there's lots there I intend to sample, but I'm interested in you guys' favourite sound bites! 

Some typical ones:

Sonic's ring grab:

Mario's famous 'yahoo' in SM64:

Here's an example of games samples in a track - think this has Navi saying 'Hey, Listen' - very funky. (EDIT: at 2:30)

( Edited 09.11.2014 14:43 by The Strat Man )

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

Hey man!

Here's some OoT grunting for a dirty rap:

Good site for some game who-sampled-who: http://www.whosampled.com/song-tag/Video%20Game/sampled/1/

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Sound bites? Or music?

Because music wise you can't go wrong with a lot of the tracks in;

Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 10.

7's brilliant for demonstrating music that is perfect for both scene-setting, mood-setting and tone-setting on limited resources; the PS file tricks that was used.

8's more piano stuff,

10 is a wonderful fusion of catchy tunes with scene-setting music.

I actually had/have a playlist full of the best tunes from those games that I actually play on nights in with a few mates on the beer, it's amusing because they're always surprised the music came from games. >_>

Music: 

. Pretty much everything in these games is wonderful on the music department tbh. But this track is definitely the best in my opinion. This one from the same gameseries is also wonderful

. Umineko ruined video game music for me pretty much.. o.O

When it comes to sound bits so is this old gem my favorite. 

( Edited 23.11.2014 00:40 by Andre Eriksson )

The difference between illusion and reality is vague to the one who suffers from the former and questionable for the one suffering form the later.

Well apart from the aforementioned i would like to add Metal Gear Solid's Solid Snakes "hmmmmm" and Codec ring to the list.

(Deviating a bit - while trying to look for snakes soundbites i came across Soundboarding, hahah )

I would also say Sonic's drowning soundbyte is memorable!

Also, welcome back Strat Man!

Yes! I love Hotline Miami soundtrack too... It was Azuardo that introduced me to that game and those soundtracks - the legend.

I've always loved the Command and Conquer soundtracks...

And I've always loved the sound of arrows and swords on Age of Empires 2...

( Edited 08.12.2014 21:29 by Hoj )

Hoj Pip

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz

There are 1 members online at the moment.