Explain the Nintendo DS numbering system for an idiot.

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 25.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Cos it doesn't make sense to me.

There was the;

DS - So number 1 right, then we had the 'light' or to be trendy 'lite', which I have. Then there's apparently a DSi, with the 'i' presumably standing for 'impressive' or some other trendy slap a dash name.

Then came the 3DS, ok I get that, it's in three D, it'll give me a headache, so I won't go there.

Now there's a 2DS, ok so we're going backwards now... O_o

So let me get this straight. The 2DS is a 3DS that forgoes the 3D elements, in which case, shouldn't it just be a DS in the first place, or name it DS2 or something fancy?

So if I get a 2DS, I can play 3DS games right?
I also get to play all the DS games anyway? O_o But a 3DS game won't work on a DS clearly. But both will work on a 2DS and a 3DS? When's the 4DS coming out? >_>

Asking, cos I saw the newest Ace Attorney game is in English, and damned if I'm going to miss out on that game. >_>

2DS is basically a 3DS; it just plays games in 2D instead of stereoscopic 3D. The name makes sense, but I see why it seems like going backwards and confusing for the average consumer.

So yes, 3DS games, and by default, DS games, run on a 2DS. When you ignore the name, it's just another form of the 3DS.

Unless you like the style of the 2DS and aren't arsed about stereoscopic 3D, buy a 3DS. Any form of the 3DS is great, or you can wait for the even more stupidly named 'New 3DS', coming next year. The New 3DS has a number of improvements, as well as some exclusive games that won't run on regular 3DS/2DS units because of the New 3DS' extra power, such as the Xenoblade Chronicles port. Unless you're that eager to get Ace Attorney now, I'd suggest waiting till the New 3DS is out here and buying that.

I see... To be honest I only used the DSlite for the AA games. >_> I should probably buy other games some time.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Sandy Wilson

There are 1 members online at the moment.