What was your Game of the Year in 2014?

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Although I don't buy too many games at or just after release these days, I did pick up some of the main ones I really wanted.

Given how much time I put into it, my GOTY of 2014 would have to be Mario Kart 8. I have many issues with the game, but I can't deny how much fun I had hammering it in multiplayer and eventually getting 10,000 VR online.

Some of the others I enjoyed (and still enjoy) immensely are Danganronpa 1 & 2 and Theatrhythm FFCC. Loved playing through FFX again in HD, and even got enjoyment out of LRFF13. Hyrule Warriors was decent fun.

Based on what I got last year and put so much time into, though, would have to be MK8.

I'm going to go with Mario Kart 8, as well! Smilie

I also feel there's problems with it, but it's still easily my GOTY for 2014. I just spent so much time on it and it's the most fun I had on a game last year. Nintendo really put a lot of effort in it, and for me it's the best Mario Kart ever made. If they add battle courses and tweak the weapons a little then it'd be pretty much perfect, though I wouldn't mind some character DLC, too.

Runners up would be Hyrule Warriors and Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call. I didn't really explore Hyrule Warriors fully and just played through the main quest mode, but I had a lot of fun with it and I think it was great to be able to play as so many of my favourite Zelda characters instead of just Link. Theatrhythm Curtain Call is just fantastic! One of the best music/rhythm games I've played and it's helped with discovering lots of new tracks from the Final Fantasy series that I really love. Nothing to really fault with it, it even has a nice catalog of DLC, with more on the way!

I'm actually going to say Smash Bros for the 3DS as a runner up, as well. I don't think its the best Smash Bros, but I'm still really impressed how they managed to get that game onto the 3DS looking so nice and running at 60fps. It doesn't feel like they cut back on too much either, it has most of the modes there and still tonnes of content to unlock via the challenges and trophies. It even had Smash Run which was superior to the Wii U's exclusive board game mode. I'm more impressed with this version than the Wii U version by a lot.

( Edited 15.01.2015 10:09 by Marzy )

I really want to say Mugen Souls Z. But the serious bug that game came with really ruined it.

I got to say Etrian Odyssey: Untold: The Millenium Girl. Other worthy contenders are: Fantasy Life, Tales of Hearts R, Hyrule Warriors and Deception IV.

The difference between illusion and reality is vague to the one who suffers from the former and questionable for the one suffering form the later.

Mario Kart 8
I got it for Christmas and couldn't stop playing it with my wife, brother, and sister. When we were kids, my sister would sneak into my brother and I's bedroom late at night to play endless rounds of Double Dash with us. They both came home for the holidays so we ended up playing this game just about every day! It was just as fun as when we were kids and that's what I like about Nintendo!

( Edited 15.01.2015 17:42 by benoit489 )

I always find it hard to name a game from the year it was released as Game of the Year, I'm clearing out a backlog from yester-years! 

For or me it would be Super Smash Bros 3DS, the sheer number of hours I've put into this game is astonishing. The roster, levels, additional mini games, Smash Run, a free online service that works brilliantly, the graphics and score are some of the best on any device let alone a handheld game. There's so much to do and collect. I was a little annoyed how quick it was to unlock things but other than that it's a superb game.

My other favourite games from last year were Not released in 2014 but it's the year I played them. Fire Emblem Awakening and Starfox 64 3DS, both games are fantastic and worthy to any collection. Starfox has so much replay value for a 'small' game!

Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros U for me! That's about it, really.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Insanoflex

There are 1 members online at the moment.