UK General Election 2015

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

It's an important time for the UK as we go to the polling booths on May 7th to vote for our local MPs and ultimately decide which party gets to lead the UK government for the next few years.

We had a brief discussion a while back when Scotland was voting for independence, so I'm sure there are some folk here who have opinions about this, too.

Do you know who you are voting for? Why are you voting for them? Who do you want to become PM? Who do you really not want to become PM? Have you been following debates and doing your research? Are you still unsure? Do you care?

How about our non-UK friends? Anyone interested in the goings-on here and have opinions or want to know more?

Here are my (long) thoughts (you don't have to read all this, but I'd love to hear others' views):

Even though I'm of the view that this whole political system needs to change drastically, whilst we have this opportunity, I think it's important that we use our vote for what we truly believe in. And if you don't know or don't feel like any of the candidates represent you, then I believe it's fine not to vote. People often say you can't have an opinion if you don't vote, but that's not true. If you don't believe that this is the right way to do things or that no one represents you, you don't have to vote. Just because you don't vote, doesn't mean you don't care. We can make ourselves heard in other ways.

But I still am of the view that if you believe in something, you really should vote for it. In my opinion, this feeling is stronger than it has ever been in my life. I've been clueless in the past. I've never taken much of an interest in politics until the last few years, where I've learned so much and have had my eyes opened to a lot of the shit going on behind the scenes. A lot of that is in due part to Russell Brand, who's been a god send for the people who have never had their voices heard before, and young people that have either had no clue about politics or never previously cared. I fully back him in that we need to cause a revolution to change things for the better, because the system is massively flawed, but I do think it's the right thing to do that we use our vote whilst we have this chance.

I had been a massive backer of the Green Party in the last year, and still am. Unfortunately, we don't have a Green candidate in my constituency, but we do thankfully have someone for Plaid Cymru (Party of Wales). I'd watched the 7-person leader debate, where Plaid, the Greens and the SNP performed extremely well, so my choice was always going to be Plaid or Greens. Once I looked into Plaid a lot more and then found out we had no Green candidate here, the choice was made. After seeing how well the SNP has been doing and how much I back Scottish independence, I am fully behind Plaid Cymru now. Wales can follow in Scotland's footsteps, and I want to be a part of that. I've looked into Plaid's policies and it speaks to me as a citizen of Wales.

There are some things I know for sure - we cannot ever allow the Conservatives to get back into power again. It is a party for the rich 1% that doesn't give a shit about ordinary people. We also cannot allow UKIP to get anywhere near power. Their racist representatives speak for itself. The Lib Dems are equally shit and pointless - they said they'd scrap tuition fees, only to treble them, leading to that infamous "I'm sorry" video.

Labour is the best option out of all of those, but it is not the answer to a progressive and better UK. They still support nuclear weapons, and you can bet your ass we'll still go to war, they still support cuts to public spending, and they have a history of being shit in Wales. If you had to pick between any of the above, it's Labour every single time, but I don't believe it's the right way.

Tactical voting is dead. People are waking up. Shit needs to change. Going back and forth between Labour and Tories hasn't worked. The three progressive parties - Greens, Plaid and SNP - are making huge strides in politics and presenting excellent cases. These are the only parties that want to abolish nuclear weapons for starters. They want to work together for the good of the UK as a whole, and not just the individual home nation they come from. If I had to give any advice then it'd be to vote Green, Plaid or SNP, depending on where you're from. The only way we can really move the UK forward is to support these parties and end the bullshit we've had to endure for decades.

I'd love to hear others' views, though. Maybe you have arguments for why we shouldn't vote for them or want to say why you're voting for one over the other.

Green/Labour for me - was the outcome for me on this quiz: https://voteforpolicies.org.uk

I will probably vote either of those two in the election - this time I'm far more invested than I was back in 2010, for sure. Been keeping an update on the campaigns over the last few week, I still need to read up more, but am eager to see how this turns out.

Realistically I feel it will probably end up being a Labour/Lib Dem/Green colalition or Labour/SNP (though it has been ruled out, by you never know).

If Cameron and them goons are back in power... urgh.

BLUKIP would be painful.

I still want UK to say in EU.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Wish I hadn't been so clueless when I voted last time. Had no idea what I was doing. Feel so much better about myself knowing full well what I'm voting for this time around.

Think Lab/SNP is strong possibility given that SNP wants to do all it can to keep Tories out, and whilst Greens and Plaid want the same, I think those two will only team up if Labour thinks again about the cuts they want to do, and in Plaid's case in particular, if they'll agree to better deal for Wales.

Labour will say they won't do coalition with anyone right now in order to sound confident to voters. It wouldn't do any good to say they'll team up now, as it won't instill confidence in potential Lab voters - why bother voting for Lab in that case? But when it comes down to it, they'll have to team up with at least one party to keep Tories out. I cannot imagine for an instant that Lab/Lib Dems will happen given LD's previous cock-ups in a Tory government. They've had their chance - time to fuck off.

The only party that thinks UK should exit EU is UKIP, so that says it all really. Leaving EU would be bad for UK, and not even any of the nationalists/Greens want that.

I still recommend the English vote Greens where they can. Labour isn't progressive enough for a healthier, greener and better off UK imo, but so long as it's not Cons/UKIP/Lib Dems you vote for, Labour is the best choice of your lot if you rule out Greens.

It will probably be Greens for me. Some of their policies are a bit naive, ignorant or misinformed (anti-GMO, for example), but they're still by far the most promising option in my mind - it's not like other parties are completely rational and fact-motivated (SNP and Plaid look pretty good too though). UKIP need to be kept well away from government, which is most important reason why everyone needs to get out and vote - UKIP supporters sure will. UKIP are blatantly vile nutters, and leaving the EU would be a disaster for the UK. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to do some reading. Anyone that thinks immigration has caused any of our problems needs to stop reading the Daily Mail.

I'm more eager for the 2020 election now that Sandi Toksvig has started a new party promoting equality and rationality - now that's one I can't wait to vote for!

( Edited 02.05.2015 18:38 by Ikana )

Voting Green.

If Conservatives get into power again or UKIP somehow (highly doubt it) then I've lost hope for the UK.

Pleasing to hear. If I was in England, it would be Greens all the way. Labour's record in Wales has been shit, with their handling of the NHS woeful, and the Conservatives' massive focus on austerity (which Labour will still support), is disgusting.

Plaid is on course for their best ever performance at an election, and I'm really proud to support that. There have been lots of comments from English saying Plaid's policies speak more to them than any of the other parties. It really feels like big change is on the horizon in this country, and I'm excited to be a part of that.

Well that went well, yeah?

Ugh. Bitterly disappointed. How could the polls get it so wrong?! In 5 years people, who will presumably be screwed over, will be like "screw tories". I betcha.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Honestly, I think the rich, retired and comfortable want it so much more, that they're the ones that get out and vote. Labour is a threat to them, with the planned cuts to their riches.

The working class aren't informed and don't engage in politics. My mates and some parts of the family graft every day, but they simply aren't tuned into politics in the slightest - they don't care about it. Even though voting Labour would benefit them, they don't know it because they don't take an interest. Course, you can argue that they don't believe any of the parties represent them - so then it's a case of trying to make people vote for the lesser of two evils, which is equally hard.

Now we have a government that was decided by England and serves the wealthy once more. Scotland shouldn't be part of the UK at this point, and the majority of Wales (mainly the working class south) again voted in favour of Labour. How Cameron can claim they speak for Britain is a joke when neither Scotland or Wales want Tories in.

Honestly, I don't blame those people that aren't tuned in. The sort of backgrounds they come from, they are never historically represented in politics, and therefore take no interest. I think a possible issue as well is that the left-wing voters are now more divided than ever, they are splitting into voting for various non-Tory parties. In the end, the right-wing pretty much exclusively votes Tory, and everyone else is going for different things. That's why you see gains in Plaid, Greens, UKIP and others, even if they don't take any extra seats. I'm aware UKIP is right-wing, but they have tapped into the working class through the fear and immigration cards - they may well have had a big say in determining a Tory win in this.

I can take some happiness through Plaid's gains in votes, even if we missed out by a couple of hundred to gain an extra seat, and we kick on to the Welsh Assembly elections now. Happiness for the gains in Greens, too, of course. It's clear that one of the biggest problems is the electoral process - we need to change the two-party system to put minor ones on a more level playing field, and I'm hoping that will be pushed for in parliament.

I'm so ashamed at the part of Wales I live in. It's infested with rich and retired folk who come here from England, and would never give a shit about Welsh independence. We're a long way to go, but I know the road I'm on now. Always gonna fight for Plaid.

As it is, though, we're still a part of this shitty Union, and we have to work together to keep the activism and protesting going. Don't give up hope, as grim as it really is right now.

I fully back him in that we need to cause a revolution to change things for the better, because the system is massively flawed,

Revolution is a strong word. There are 200 odd countries in the world, and when you look around you realise that the UK is one of the best for democracy etc. yes, the system is highly flawed, but it will always be flawed No matter what happens.
Then there's the fact that we had a referendum to change the voting system a few years back, and it lost spectacularly.

I was pretty shocked by the result as well, but life will go on. I'm intrigued as to how the divide with Scotland will play out. The political disparity is plain to see, and in the near future it looks like it will only get worse. Cameron spent the latter half of the election campaign telling everyone that the SNP were monsters that wanted to destroy the country, and now he's trying to make piece... it doesn't sound too promising to me. 

Also, the fact that UKIP got nearly 4 million votes is a bit concerning to say the least.

( Edited 09.05.2015 16:33 by Cheesing It Up )

Revolution is just bringing about change from outside of the current system. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a sudden radical movement to bring buildings down, but one of people coming together to fight the good fight. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be easy or end up violent (although it wouldn't be intentionally violent on our behalf), but we have the power to bring about change if we really organise and get out there and do it. Movements and meetings and protests are happening all the time and getting stronger. It's just about getting that message across to the majority and then actually doing it that's the hard part.

We must keep the protesting going, but I want to see how things can change if we can reform the voting system. I strongly believe in scrapping so much of the way things are handled. Just looking at the insides of Westminster disgusts me. It is so out of touch with ordinary people that just looking at or hearing the name turns so many people away from the whole thing. We need a system that reflects ordinary people.

The public indeed didn't vote in favour of a reform of the voting system, but that was years ago, and before this election happened. No matter which side of the fence you're on - Greens or UKIP - both parties would have gained a huge number of seats under proportional representation. How is it fair that UKIP got 3.3m votes and Greens got 1.1m and both only got 1 seat, yet SNP gets 1.4m and goes in with a whopping 56 seats? I have no doubt in my mind that, given the results of this election and how so many parties got voted for but came out with minimal seats in Westminster, we would absolutely vote to reform it.

I didn't even know about the vote last time, so I wager many others that have become massively vested in this election didn't either. We would definitely vote to change it if we got the chance to vote on it again. Really expect the other MPs that aren't Tories to push for it now.

If you haven't seen this yet, sign it:

https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-reform-our-voting-system-to-make-it-fair-and-representative-makeseatsmatchvotes?recruiter=9001791

Whatever opportunity we have to try and change things, we have to take it. Even shitty online petitions. We have to do all we can on an individual and collective level.

( Edited 09.05.2015 18:13 by Azuardo )

Azuardo said:
Revolution is just bringing about change from outside of the current system. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a sudden radical movement to bring buildings down, but one of people coming together to fight the good fight. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be easy or end up violent (although it wouldn't be intentionally violent on our behalf), but we have the power to bring about change if we really organise and get out there and do it. Movements and meetings and protests are happening all the time and getting stronger. It's just about getting that message across to the majority and then actually doing it that's the hard part.

But any change to the electoral system would surely have to be voted for and so would have to go through the current system. You're not going to be bring about change from outside the system (not withstanding things like military coups, which hopefully are not on the table!). You say it "wouldn't be intentionally violent on our behalf". Who is "our" in this case?

The public indeed didn't vote in favour of a reform of the voting system, but that was years ago, and before this election happened. No matter which side of the fence you're on - Greens or UKIP - both parties would have gained a huge number of seats under proportional representation. How is it fair that UKIP got 3.3m votes and Greens got 1.1m and both only got 1 seat, yet SNP gets 1.4m and goes in with a whopping 56 seats? I have no doubt in my mind that, given the results of this election and how so many parties got voted for but came out with minimal seats in Westminster, we would absolutely vote to reform it.

Is the situation with the Greens or UKIP fair? No, of course not! It's possible that there will be small changes made somewhere to accommodate this, although I'm not sure what those would be. For an issue as big as changing how an election works, a referendum is really a once in a generation thing at best, so 4 years ago is not that long ago at all. 
I still strongly support a change to the first past the post system, but I don't think it's likely to happen in the near future.

Whatever opportunity we have to try and change things, we have to take it. Even shitty online petitions. We have to do all we can on an individual and collective level.

I agree with this! Engagement is always good. Remember, 100,000 signatures is the level needed to get it discussed by MPs. Smilie

By "our" I mean the people out there protesting trying to bring about change, representing people like myself, and people that have yet to get out there but want to. Didn't mean to use it as if I was including you or all people. But yeah, the reality is it is extremely difficult to bring about an outside revolution without violence. It will have to be a revolution that changes the system from the inside. A new radical left party might just be what is needed.

I dunno, I think a new vote on the voting system could definitely happen before the next election. UKIP certainly won't let it pass them by. I have hope on that one. And besides, with the above petition that would at least bring up the discussion, even more of a chance with the majority of non-Tory MPs on the side of those that want the change. And if not, I may sadly have to resort to tactical voting in the next election. I pray it won't be the case. We shall see.

( Edited 09.05.2015 23:11 by Azuardo )

Interesting. I thought it would be more even than it turned out to be. Due to the results I suspect tactical voting from LibDem voters on Tories...

It is sad to see, as I as a liberal that does not really agree with conservatives at all times would gladly see that LibDem got more chairs and therefore could affect the under the surface politics in a more liberal direction, but if a party has done not much more on the surface than acting as a support party for another party so are the classical voters going to leave and the ones who want the supporting of Tories are going to vote on them to ensure that Labour or UKIP does not get a chair. A change in the voting system is certainly in strong need as the current system encourages tactical voting which is only going to serve the bigger parties in the long run. Something I am painfully aware that Tories are aware of and are likely going to try to avoid at every possibility.

It is also sad that they are going to deliver that EU voting thingy as it is going to cause instability all across Europe no matter the results which is the last thing we need in these times.

The difference between illusion and reality is vague to the one who suffers from the former and questionable for the one suffering form the later.

I'm glad that Scotland showed some solidarity and went almost all SNP. It, despite Conservatives winning outright, sends a strong message.

It seems the Scottish people want a 'leave the UK' referendum if the EU referendum results in a split, although SNP have said they won't push for a referendum unless people actually want it.

The most hurtful thing that happened was one of my English friends blaming Scotland for the Conservatives winning. He was quite insulting.

Imagine if parliament was one party from each member country of the UK who all had influence over UK matters and each country was independent in terms of governing itself. That is what the UK should be it should be a conglomeration not ruled by one party.

I own all the consoles, ask me anything

Even if Scotland delivered the same Labour MPs it did as in the 2010 election, Conservatives would have still won this 2015 one. Scotland was not at fault in the slightest. For the past two elections now, Wales and Scotland have both voted Labour (or SNP now), and we've ended up with Conservatives on both occasions. If any country was to "blame" for Conservatives winning, it would be England (note: I do not blame England). What is the point of the Union if the countries in it do not get the governments they vote for? I'm sick and tired of Wales getting shafted.

I know Nicola Sturgeon has said they aren't gonna rush into another referendum in Scotland, but in my view, it can't come around quick enough again. Best thing that will happen for Scotland is breaking free from the UK, and I earnestly await the inevitable day it happens in Wales (decades from now, sadly).

I wholeheartedly agree with Leanne Wood's proposal to only withdraw the UK from the EU if all countries in the Union vote to leave it. Again, this is where the Union is bollocks. If Scotland and Wales vote not to leave, but most of England does, producing a majority, all of the UK will have to exit. At least in Scotland's case, it's likely that you would leave the UK not too long after we exit the EU (if we did), and you could rejoin it independently. Wales would have to suffer as part of the UK.

I agree with your conglomeration, Sandy. The way countries are governed is a load of crap. Constant arguing and insults between parties. Working together peacefully and openly should be a number one priority. I had huge hope when the proposals were on the table for Labour to co-operate with Plaid, SNP and Greens. To think what could have been; it's sad.

It's obvious a number of things attributed to the result of this, but I have to say that I think Labour shot themselves in the foot massively. They are supposed to be pro-"working class" but their refusal to reverse so many Tory cuts no doubt caused people to think twice. In the end, there were far more progressive and left parties that appealed to voters much more. In Scotland, that was the SNP, which was very vocal in its anti-austerity proposals. All right, they do have cuts planned, but it was far more appealing to vote for them than Labour. The Greens and Plaid, too, were constant in their calls to end austerity. Labour has done huge damage to itself in not actually being as left as people thought. Labour really was the lesser of two evils (the names Tory-lite and Red Tories being banded about were legit), and I think a lot of people have turned their back on them now...which is going to be a problem come next election if we don't reform the voting system. I'm reluctant to vote tactically as my passion for Wales and Plaid is so strong.

( Edited 12.05.2015 17:59 by Azuardo )

Scotland's labour would have had more of a chance if Jim Murphy had not been the leader... Though he still refuses to leave even though his party is trying to chuck him out. Labour might cease to exist in Scotland if they aren't t careful.

Its a shame the UK isn't a better setup as Scotland will most likely leave it pretty fast in the future, hopefully followed by Wales and northern Ireland not long after.

I own all the consoles, ask me anything

The ironic thing is that the SNP, despite wanting to leave the UK, may be our main hope in reducing the amount of shit we'll endure for the next five years. Things like opposing the abolishment of the Human Rights Act and opposing Snoopers' Charter. Hopefully they'll have a big say in stopping these going through.

Wales isn't in anywhere near the same position as Scotland, unfortunately. We don't have our own treasury or criminal and justice system, but devolution continues, and it's simply a matter of time. Leanne Wood hopes we'll have the question within her political lifetime, and while it's a difficult one to win people over with right now (there are a lot of English living in Wales that don't really help the fight), we'll get there eventually. Plaid has dramatically increased its supporters in most regions of the country, so we're on the right path.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, Ofisil

There are 2 members online at the moment.