Nintendo announces E3 2016 plans

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 29.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Guest 06.05.2016#1

Very odd they're not showing anything nx related. I've no doubt zelda will be excellent but its a game thats been delayed 2 years. The hype is gone. Just release it already. Delaying it to launch with NX only serves to emphasize the lack of games this year

I'll probably watch the inevitable new trailer for it, but I'll be keeping away from any other coverage. I really want to go into this Zelda as spoiler free as possible. Though I imagine it's going to be super hard to avoid lots of the new details over the course of E3.

I'll try my best either way.

( Edited 06.05.2016 15:30 by Marzy )

Our member of the week

Their directs have always been rather detached from the main E3 event ever since they stopped doing on-stage presentations, so it's no wonder that if thee was a presentation of NX or any other titles, planned, that it would not be announced as part of their E3 plans.

What I think of this E3 plan though is that it's pretty poor, and they shouldn't want people to forget that they exist. They still have some Wii U games in the pipeline for this year after all. It would have been nice to have them at E3 for people to try out at least.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Less about Nintendo really and more about E3 becoming less relevant. Its been a trend over many years.

Personally I prefer the approach to release info when its ready - rather then the previous standard of rushing things or delaying things to conform to E3.

http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+

Darkflame said:
Less about Nintendo really and more about E3 becoming less relevant. Its been a trend over many years.

Personally I prefer the approach to release info when its ready - rather then the previous standard of rushing things or delaying things to conform to E3.

I think so too. E3 has become less and less interesting in the last few years. N Directs and PSX have been aimed at the fans first and foremost, and have been mostly great shows - far better than any recent E3s.

It's just that it's usually around E3 that Nintendo does do one of their Directs with games to look forward to, so its absence doesn't bode well for the rest of the year...unless they are keeping quiet about it and will only do one a little while after E3. But certainly things are looking bleak for this year, definitely.

im all good with this as long as they bring back space world. 1 game is unacceptable, even if it is zelda. e3 has been dying a slow death for a while now; just look at what other top software studios are doing. if they are to bring back a space world type event it would be nice if they held it in different locations each year but i cant see that happening. surely if they were to be holding an event like space world wouldn't it have been mentioned in the investors meeting? any way im happy with the directs for now, they give all the relevant information without the fan fair and posturing. i suspect those who are overly upset about this are those who have over hyped themselves about NX to the point of creating their own release and reveal schedule. if 2017 is what it takes to make sure they come out the gate swinging: games galore, the key third party studios then im all for it.

Guest said:
I've no doubt zelda will be excellent but its a game thats been delayed 2 years. The hype is gone. Just release it already. 

I'll never understand this argument. Hype doesn't just vanish in the gaming industry, never has. Destiny, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, No Man's Sky, Quantum Break, The Division; games get announced years before their release all the time. Even ones that were received poorly or just okay like Duke Nukem Forever and Watch_Dogs didn't seem to lose any steam before their release. I mean, I can't think of a scenario where someone sees a game they've wanted forever on the shelf and thinks "Wow, I'd like to buy this, but it should've been out a year ago, so nah."

NNID: crackedthesky
My blog, mostly about writing: http://www.davidjlovato.com

I've seen a lot of people lose hype for Mighty No9, to the point that they have lost interest in buying it.

I kind have lost hype for Zelda at the moment, but once we see more and it gets closer to launch all the hype will come back. For example, just seeing that 10 seconds of footage from the Direct last year got me so hyped and excited again.

Eh, I'm pretty sure the vast, vast majority of people saying they won't buy Mighty No. 9 because it took too long to come out are still going to buy it on day one, and more of them will buy it the second it goes on sale. Not getting something sooner just isn't a good reason not to buy something when it comes to video games. This is especially true if the game really was delayed to make it better; if Mighty No. 9 launches with overwhelming positive reviews, the number of people actually not buying it because of the delay will be next to none.

It just really doesn't make any sense. "I didn't get to play this game when I wanted to, so now I'll just refuse to ever play it at all, even though I can play it right now." There's no logic there. And why does the negativity only apply to certain games? People have been waiting almost a decade for Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian, but I don't see angry masses losing interest because they took too long. People are still going gaga for No Man's Sky even though that's taken nearly as long as Mighty No. 9, despite being developed for 1/5 as many platforms.

I mean, I could see if it's for a new game or from an untrusted developer, but does anyone really think a game like The Last Guardian or a Zelda is going to fall anything short of spectacular?

Hype quite easily diminishes if you don't see anything. That's why they release promos and trailers - to build the hype again. It's been very easy to lose hype for games like FF15 and Zelda when next to nothing is being shown for years at a time. The "not buying because I've lost hype" thing is a separate issue that is weird to stand by, but it's definitely easy to lose hype for something you don't hear anything about for long periods of time.

I mean, I could see if it's for a new game or from an untrusted developer, but does anyone really think a game like The Last Guardian or a Zelda is going to fall anything short of spectacular?

Bold statement :p I've not really seen much of TLG to make me think it's going to be incredible, and Zeldas can easily fall short of even being great. Skyward Sword attests to that. My opinion etc.

Not buying was what I was referring to, though. Interest/hype can diminish if something completely vanishes, but most times, it comes back when said thing does. Again, Duke Nukem Forever is a great example of this, even if the final product wasn't so spectacular.

I'd argue a mediocre Zelda game is still pretty stellar, and I'm sure The Last Guardian will be received the same, but like you said, that's pretty much opinion. I'd also argue that even Skyward Sword got overwhelmingly positive reviews, as pretty much all Zeldas do. Some of that may be a nostalgia factor, but we didn't see that happen with Star Fox Zero or Other M, so I think probably a lot of people would agree that even the less-than-great Zeldas are still pretty legit in their own right.

I could say the same about Final Fantasy; hype for XV hasn't really died down despite XIV being initially panned by fans and critics; people trust Tetsuya Nomura and the mainline Final Fantasy series. In the same sense, I think people trust Aonuma and Zelda, and Ueda and Team Ico.

Interest/hype can diminish if something completely vanishes, but most times, it comes back when said thing does.

Right. I agree with that. But maybe I was just thinking you were saying hype can't disappear at all for big games like Zelda, FF, etc. I know you weren't, now.

Hype definitely did die down for FF15 for many people, myself included. Even now, I'm not massively hyped for it, but I guess that's more because I've not been overwhelmingly impressed by what I've seen, or the approach it's taken. I dunno. But certainly in general, the hype is back to maximum now that they've started to show stuff for it and let people play demos of it.

It's very bizarre to be so quiet so close to the launch of a new system. It's also strange (even for Nintendo) to only want to focus on one game. I guess that definitely says something about the success of the Wii U, I'm definitely surprised there was no desire to throw some focus toward the 3DS though. I get we're at the end of a cycle, but bring something. 

Does seem like retrospectively this decision will add up better. I think springing a lot of this new system on us will be part of the strategy, having spent a lot of time with remote play on PS4- my hunch is it'll use that sort of functionality. 

( Edited 09.05.2016 16:47 by The Strat Man )

Tom Barry [ Reviewer - Editor - Resident Sim-Racer @ Cubed3.com ] 

The Strat Man said:
It's very bizarre to be so quiet so close to the launch of a new system. It's also strange (even for Nintendo) to only want to focus on one game. I guess that definitely says something about the success of the Wii U, I'm definitely surprised there was no desire to throw some focus toward the 3DS though. I get we're at the end of a cycle, but bring something. 

Does seem like retrospectively this decision will add up better. I think springing a lot of this new system on us will be part of the strategy, having spent a lot of time with remote play on PS4- my hunch is it'll use that sort of functionality. 

I think it's too soon to say. PS4 and X1 were both announced at private events before E3 ahead of a November launch, so roughly 6 months before launch. If Nintendo follows suit for a March launch, they should be revealing the system sometime in September. Tokyo Game Show happens in September. The math adds up for a TGS reveal for NX, whereas E3 a few months earlier is almost too soon (a lot of people criticized them for revealing Wii U too long before launching it).

I agree on the games thing though. Only showing one game at E3 would be a mistake. That said, they haven't entirely ruled out a Nintendo Direct the week of E3, and after the backlash from their announcement, they'd be pretty silly not to scramble to put something together. I mean, we have two main series Pokemon games launching this year, they really can't get any footage of that? Their 3rd party lineup for 3DS is as strong as ever, showcase some of it. Same can be said for their indie support on Wii U.

You can't show just one game at E3. You're already losing all of your fans who aren't interested in Zelda, and you're probably losing half of your Zelda fans because they don't want to watch someone else play the game or be spoiled with too much info going in. It's just a mess all around, but it's not too late to fix it.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, RudyC3

There are 2 members online at the moment.