Current Thoughts on Handheld Gaming

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Am I finished with handheld gaming?... Possibly. I hardly play my 3DS anymore and it's not just because there's not that many games coming out recently. I've picked up some and while they're good, I just find it hard to actually sit down and play on a handheld these days. It's not the optimal way to play for me.

I'd much rather be playing on a bigger screen with a nice resolution and sitting in a comfy chair not having to tilt my head downwards (which causes bad stiffness and pains for me). It's not comfortable, basically and just feels like an inferior experience. It all just seems a bit pointless, too. I always play games indoors.

However, there are certain games I think work well on a handheld. Games like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Rhythm Heaven. Games you can pick up and play for short periods and have a bit of fun. A game like Kid Icarus though, I feel would have been much better suited to the Wii or Wii U. I actually always really hoped they would remaster Kid Icarus for Wii U. I just feel if you're going to make big adventure type games like Monster Hunter, then it just seems pointless to put it on a handheld console. Would anyone actually pick a handheld version over a home console version if they were given the choice?

What are your thoughts on handheld gaming in 2016

( Edited 12.12.2016 17:32 by Guest )

My handheld playtime goes up and down. I can go months without playing anything on the 3DS or Vita, but I am a huge fan of handheld gaming. When given a choice, I prefer the full TV best grafix experience, but the convenience of portability means I'll often switch to playing on handheld where possible. I owned FFX HD on PS3 and Vita, but despite the better resolution and such of the PS3 version, it was the Vita version I hammered 95% of my playtime on because of how convenient it was to just sit in bed and grind away.

With portable systems, you can just put them in sleep mode, come back, flick on and carry on where you left off. The ease of use for TV consoles isn't the same. It's for this reason I love the idea of the Wii U GamePad and Off-TV Play, where I basically played through most of Wind Waker on the pad. The next step for me has to be a hybrid of sorts, letting us play any game off the TV anywhere, instead of only a few feet from the console. The limited range is what really annoys me about it. That said, it's true I do most of my portable gaming in my room anyway, but I would like the option of all games playable in handheld form with no restrictions.

I have the same issue with neck problems playing handheld, but I think this is the same for everyone. It's tough to get comfy playing them. Even though it might be the case dedicated handheld platforms are dying because of the mobile competition, I don't want to see an end to them altogether. Remote Play and Off-TV Play are the first steps into a hopefully hybrid-like future. To have the option to play games on the TV or on a portable screen is the best situation, I feel, and we wouldn't need to sacrifice dedicated handheld games, either. If it is made clear a game will only work on the portable screen, we can still get those handheld-only experiences (and vice versa, of course -- Skyward Sword wouldn't work portably).

For me, definitely a travel too - I will be doing stuff on me phone a lot, but for coach trips etc - definitely whip out the 3DS. 

Haven't seen anyone with a handheld on public transport (3DS/Vita, DS/PSP) in years... :/

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

I think it goes back to what Charles Cecil talked with me about; people are gravitating towards mobile phones as a legitimate form of gaming. I'm just about getting there myself and gaming phenomenoms such as Pokemon Go is a massive indicator of even Nintendo's attitudinal shift in regards to the future of gaming on the go.

I've bumped into so many people outside Pokemon Gyms and Pokestops and everyone's either been on their phone or talking with others - it's been great! Smilie

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, Ofisil

There are 2 members online at the moment.