Review: Tales of Berseria

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 24.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Hector G (guest) 24.01.2017#1

Completely agree re: combat system.  Last one I enjoyed was Xillia though I think the best one so far has been Vesperia.  As you said it was never complicated but at later levels it felt like playing a fighting game.  Sure you could spam certain moves over and over but you could also do varied and expert combos which would reward you more money, xp, etc.

Zestiria is where it really turned sour for me.  Some how Zestiria and Beseria have managed to both convolute and oversimplify combat.  It's convoluted in terms of how the mechanics are explained but at the end of the day just mashing buttons seems to work.

This will be a Steam sale pickup for me sadly.

Yeah, I kept going over the tutorials thinking I could really get into clever combos, but when push came to shove I'd either dodge enemies at times or just button-bash through fights as quickly as possible. Real shame since I used to love the series so much.

Adam Riley [ Director :: Cubed3 ]

UNITE714: Weekly Prayers | Bible Verses

I think the jump to 3D hasn't been particularly kind to the series. It's a shame they don't do 2D entries any more. Makes me think, actually - surely it would be a good idea for the likes of Bamco and Square to do some 2D Tales, FF, Dragon Quest, etc, on handheld like the classic SNES games to provide a bit of choice and keep fans of the classics happy? No need for voice acting and performance capture, either.

While these comments are more than fair, I'd still really like a shot at a new 'Tales of' title. It's just a great pity that they are sticking exclusively to the Playstation. Perhaps one will grace the Xbox One soon.

I'm wondering what the plan is for the "Tales of" coming to Switch. New game?  Berseria update? Maybe Zestiria + Berseria double pack?

U. Ossas (guest) 25.01.2017#6

Better than FFXV.

U. Ossas (guest) said:
Better than FFXV.

Yes, I would personally agree with that, definitely! I know we've got split opinions on the matter amongst the staff, but ToB>FFXV for me, certainly.

Hows the battle system?  The old ones got way too repetitive.  Also typically they were about 10 hrs too lng.

Bash any and all buttons and onto the next one...basically. There IS strategy in place, and you do have the chance to go through tutorial after tutorial, but it will all just boil down to smashing buttons quickly and hoping for the best, most of the time.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
juzzy

There are 1 members online at the moment.