Upcoming Feature: Top Dreamcast Games

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 19.03.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Hey all!

DEADLINE - WEDNESDAY 16TH OCTOBER!

In 2020 I'll be reviewing fewer games and moving to doing regular features, listicles, articles and events. I will be taking on the odd game here and there but I am best suited to doing the aforementioned. 

Next week is the 20th anniversary of the European Dreamcast launch. I am already concocting a feature for this but will also be publishing an accompanying Top Dreamcast games (or favourite Dreamcast games).

If you want to add to this list then by all means put a shout out below, along with 50-100 words why you liked the game. Please try to keep it succinct as I wouldn't able to publish chapter and verse.

Just to let you know here are a few of the games that will feature, in no particular order;

Crazy Taxi
Sonic Adventure 1
Sonic Adventure 2
Out Trigger
Jet Set Radio
Virtua Tennis 2
Soul Calibur 
Shenmue
Metropolis Street Racer
Capcom vs SNK 2
Chu Chu Rocket.

I am aware of a number of key titles missing off this list, Marvel vs Capcom, Shenmue 2, Hydro Thunder, Power Stone 1 and 2, Ikaruga, Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia etc

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with playing these on the Dreamcast. Feel free to contribute!

Remember I need a brief description about the game and why you liked it!

( Edited 11.10.2019 10:43 by Flynnie )

Unfortunately, I never got the chance to own or play Dreamcast but I hear that it had the best versions of many of the games listed and also of Resident Evil Code Veronica X as well as the highest quality encodes of the Resident Evil 2 and 3 CGI cutscenes. Anyway sorry that probably doesn't help but I am interested to see how the list comes out and if I can find any classics to get stuck into!

I own all the consoles, ask me anything

I was chasing down some of the Resi games and GTA 2 on ebay, but to be honest I am just not paying those ludicrous prices for old games! 

I also made a long journey to a CEX to buy Power Stone and then someone had got there a few minutes before me so I ended up missing out on that as well!

Either way I have about 30 DC games in my collection so I don't think I'll be needing anymore!

Dead or Alive 2 always was one of my faves on DC. If I can remember, I'll try to get a short snippet written in time,

Fantastic if you can, I own it as well actually, I do enjoy it but fighting games aren't my forte when it comes to writing about them as I don't know the mechanics well enough to describe them. 

DOA2 and DOA Dimensions are the only games I have played in the series though.

Dead or Alive 2
Team Ninja's Dead or Alive 2 still ranks highly in the upper echelons of the fighting game genre's best. Revisiting the Dreamcast port of what was originally an arcade title is splendid indeed, with the visually gorgeous character models and textbook fluid animations that the DOA franchise is still verily praised for putting it way above other competing fighters on the market. Interactive environments delivered a whole other dimension and degree of fun to matches, and the simple to learn, yet difficult to master "triangle combat system" that takes Virtua Fighter and spruces it up with stuns and risky, punishable attacks combined sweetly to craft one of the finest titles on SEGA's final home console.
- Az

Our member of the week

I never owned a Dreamcast either soooo... with that being said I'll be very disappointed if you don't put Skies of Arcadia in there. Therefore...

Skies of Arcadia
While the PS2 had the full weight of JRPG powerhouses Squaresoft and Enix backing it with legendary franchises finding home on it as they did on PS1, the Dreamcast did not feature quite as many prime examples of the genre. However its magnum opus in that regard, outside of household name Phantasy Star Online, has to be Skies of Arcadia. Its unique premise of sky pirates ruling over world travel by airship between floating gigantic islands was magical and still quite unforgettable to this day. It would not remain exclusive to the Dreamcast in the long run, with a now much sought after Gamecube port releasing in 2003, but while that lasted, the only way to experience this timeless classic was on Sega's very last ditch effort to reconquer the home market.

-Rudy

( Edited 13.10.2019 22:31 by RudyC3 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Thanks guys! Feel free to add any other words to any of the other games as well! I am hoping to post it up by the end of the week!

If you need more opinions, it might be worth emailing the staff to get their attention. Not everyone will have seen this topic, sadly.

Adam Riley [ Director :: Cubed3 ]

UNITE714: Weekly Prayers | Bible Verses

I may have to do that! I put it here so that the public can also contribute, should they feel they want to do so. 

Smilie Just realised it's in the open forum section, rather than staff forum Smilie Oops! I wonder if anyone actually checks/posts here in general anymore.

Adam Riley [ Director :: Cubed3 ]

UNITE714: Weekly Prayers | Bible Verses

Glad to see Chu Chu Rocket there!

Actually in the end I only ended up doing 5 games, 

Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur plus Dead or Alive and Skies of Arcadia. 

Do you fancy doing a write up for Chu Chu Rocket? 

Anyone else feel free to do a mini write up for any of game if you want?

Sandy? Fancy doing something on the RE side?

I Am Panda said:
Glad to see Chu Chu Rocket there!

Also good to see you back, I just posted about you in the missing members forum the other day Smilie

Flynnie said:

Sandy? Fancy doing something on the RE side?

I can try and pull something together Smilie If I am too busy blasting through my reviews I'll let you know here Smilie

( Edited 28.10.2019 09:38 by Sandy Wilson )

I own all the consoles, ask me anything

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz

There are 1 members online at the moment.