April Music Recommendations thread (also discuss what youve been listening to)

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 16.06.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Duffman- I have seen their records everywhere here.

great Smilie still it doesn't sound like they've reached the same amount of popularity as in aus. Here, they're absolutely massive.

Although something like jet can get very popular overseas, Powderfinger are much more loved here. They win massive numbers of industry awards whenever they release an album, they're probably the most respected band here.

edit: And their music kicks ass Smilie

[ Edited by theduffman on 2005/4/4 1:30 ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Duffman ~~~~~~~~~
"If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything", Daniel Dennett

Jet didn't really get that popular. Just as well though.. can't stand them.

(Infact, just avoid all new bands with "The" something as their name).

Apart from The Killers, and some The Used songs Smilie

I need to get a powderfinger album. Kaiser Cheifs tomorrow, then Kasabian on Friday, and Powderfinger after that Smilie

Tristan recommends Thursday and Bullet for my Valentine.

Thursday samples - Click that for some cool 30 sec samples of some of their songs and 3 videos (go to the music video section) You must watch the 'War all the Time' and 'Signals Over The Air' vids, listen to 'Asleep In The Chapel', 'Tomorrow I'll Be You', 'This Song Is Brought To You By A Falling Bomb' and 'Steps Ascending'. It'll only take 10mins and involes no downloading. Plus you'll make me happy Smilie

[ Edited by SNOWMAN on 2005/4/3 16:50 ]

Meh... I prefer Blur.

Ill blur you!! *shakes first*

We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh

Just try it. I'll blur you back to Photoshop 3. Phwarr!

Not been listening to much this week, but the new Oasis single, 'Lyla', is pretty good...

msenyszak wrote:
Just to help Tempo's post, you want to avoid Stereophonics, Garbage, and The Bravery. (Infact, just avoid all new bands with "The" something as their name).

Bloody snob Smilie

I can understand Garbage and The Bravery, they just npiss me off. But if you give the new Stereophonics album a chance its actually quite good. Don't knock it. Oh, and it's not out 'now', it has been out for ages, but if you're into something a bit different, Talkie Walkie by Air is a superb album.

Trying to think of a witty signature after 'Hacker-gate'...

Talkie Walkie by Air

Got my respect back now... Smilie Smilie

[ Edited by msenyszak on 2005/4/3 18:25 ]

Anyway, recently I've been listening to:

Sessions for Robert J by Eric Clapton
Very good tribute to the blues artist. A friend gave me a borrow of this yesterday, and I've already played it 3 or 4 times. Comes with a really cool dvd too. ("More hi-hat. More!")

The Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition by Nine Inch Nails
I had to buy this reissue. Perfect angsty teen industrial rock, and featuring 'hurt', famously covered by Johnny Cash. Wish I had a 5.1 SACD player to experience this to its full..

Guaro by Beck
I'm not the biggest Beck fan, but I really like some of the tracks on the new album. I'll be buying this very soon, as keeping the downloaded version is EVIL. "E-Pro" and "Broken Drum" are the standout tracks.

One more Step and you Die by Mono
Instrumental japanese band with a love of orchestral guitar sections. Its fucking lovely too. This is the type of thing movies should use.

Jeff by Jeff Beck
An awesome guitarist, with some sometimes strange influences. This album takes a lot from dance music, and samples almost club music type vocalists. ("If the boys don't say it, the guitar will play it"). Highly recommended, even if just for "Plan B".

(oh- and I've been playing deadwing and Horses in the Sky a bit too- see above)

EDIT: sorry for the double post. Looking before you leap, and all that...

[ Edited by msenyszak on 2005/4/3 18:36 ]

You just like anything obscure really, don't you? Not that there is anything wrong with that of course. I wouldn't trust you on Beck, purely because...well, most of it is utter shit. Clapton, anything Clapton (apart from the wishy washy stuff he did whilst on tour a little while back) is awesome. If a man could ever write a song, he is that man.

I'll just make my two penneth about Kasabian. They are the chief advocates of the Fashioncore movement (along with Razorlight) see here. Avoid.

This made me laugh (even though it is, worryingly, serious): clicky.

[ Edited by tempo on 2005/4/3 19:04 ]

Trying to think of a witty signature after 'Hacker-gate'...

Heh. Its funny though- I see all of those I just listed as being fairly mainstream. I have far weirder stuff in my collection I've never aired on C3.

Get that clapton album. Looks like this:

Image for

I reccommend people try some of these downloads, (they're all 100% legal by the way msenyszak Smilie )

"A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left" - Andrew Bird

"Cold Cold Water" - Mirah

"Turtle and the Flightless Bird" - Devin Davis

"Underwater Wave Game" - Pit Er Pat

All pretty different I think, and you never know you might just like them!

Otherwise so far this month I've been listening to quite a bit from the Kasier Cheifs, Steppenwolf, Rage Against The Machine and The Fingertips.

I suggest you look into any of the if you haven't heard of them, which is pretty unlikely for most but anyway, happy listening!

Cubed3 Staff [ Retro Editor :: Previews Editor ]

I don't get the Kaiser Chiefs at all... sigh.

Some random drunk was telling me that they were his favourite band yesterday though...

The Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition by Nine Inch Nails
I had to buy this reissue. Perfect angsty teen industrial rock, and featuring 'hurt', famously covered by Johnny Cash. Wish I had a 5.1 SACD player to experience this to its full..

What's new on the deluxe edition? This was my favourite album for ages when it first came out...

It's just enjoyable, mainstream pop, msen. It's not deep and meaningful, but it's easy and enjoyable to listen to.

It's just enjoyable, mainstream pop, msen. It's not deep and meaningful, but it's easy and enjoyable to listen to.

Yeh, some very catchy tunes, one of which (Born to be a dancer) sounds very similar at the begginning to New Born by Muse I might add...

Cubed3 Staff [ Retro Editor :: Previews Editor ]

http://cubed3.com/viewblogentry.php?bid=420&uid=317

ta-da

What's new on the deluxe edition? This was my favourite album for ages when it first came out...

A whole CD, and its all in SACD 5.1 (not that I can use that Smilie )

Disc 2 Tracklisting:

1. BURN
2. CLOSER (PRECURSOR)
3. PIGGY (NOTHING CAN STOP ME NOW)
4. VIOLET FLUID
5. DEAD SOULS
6. HURT (QUIET VERSION)
7. CLOSER TO GOD
8. ALL THE PIGS ALL LINED UP
9. MEMORABILIA
10. DOWNWARD SPIRAL
11. RUINER (DEMO)
12. LIAR (REPTILE DEMO)
13. HERESY (DEMO)

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=SACD&title=552095

Comes in some pretty nice packaging too... Smilie

[ Edited by msenyszak on 2005/4/3 19:49 ]

I'd highly recommend buying Jem-Finally Woken. It's been a LOONG time since an lbum has encapsulated me like this.

I'd recommend getting Daft Punk - Human After All

The album is not as good as Discovery but is far better than Homework. Unlike Discovery which had a much more poppy slant this is mainly continental Techno in the general Daft Punk style.

I will defnitely be checking out the new Garbage album as I do like their music.

Matthew Evans [ Writer :: Moderator :: King of Impartiality :: Lord of the 15min Thread ] As the wind blows the sand to cover the camel's tracks so does time move to cover the Lord's.
Rejoice for the Lord will taketh his quarter and give much back to his followers.

Is the rest of the Daft Punk album anything like "Robot Rock"? I fucking hate that track.. so damn repetitive..

That's Daft Punk and their style of music though Human After All is a far better track.

Matthew Evans [ Writer :: Moderator :: King of Impartiality :: Lord of the 15min Thread ] As the wind blows the sand to cover the camel's tracks so does time move to cover the Lord's.
Rejoice for the Lord will taketh his quarter and give much back to his followers.

Smilie

I think I'll go and download an older album.. I'm sure they were'nt this repetitive last time...

Discovery didn't appear to be overly repetitive because it actually had vocals to go with the music for quite a few tracks. Also Discovery wasn't a standard album, it was a story in music. Get a hold of the DVD and you'll understand.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
jesusraz, Ofisil

There are 2 members online at the moment.