Golden Sun Official Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 10.05.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Image for

With the first Golden Sun game in over 6 years headed to DS in late 2010, I thought it was about time we get some real Golden Sun discussion going here on C3. Hype ourselves up, post new info and videos, discuss the plot, characters, shippingsetc.
But be warned because this thread may contain major spoilers for those who haven't played them yet, especially Lost Age.
I thought I'd get the ball rolling by posting some food for thought (major spoilers):
- A lot of people believe that Golden Sun and The Lost Age were prologues to the real plot
- Alex is still almost as mysterious as he ever was
- The Golden Sun has risen and returned Alchemy's full power to the world of Weyard.
- Isaac and Alex both have portions of the Golden Sun's power stored within them
- The Wise One knows everything, and arguably planned the events of the saga so far himself.

***End Lost Age Spoilers***

So now onto Golden Sun Dark Dawn.
30 years have passed since the events of The Lost Age, the previous games' protagonists now have new lives. Isaac for example, has a son.

E3'10 Trailer:

Gameplay will be quite easy to find on YT now seeing as the game is out.

Motoi Sakaruba is back to compose the music for Dark Dawn, and the feel perfectly matches that of Camelot's previous titles. After all this time away from Camelot working on Tales series and Star Ocean, Sakaruba still knows perfectly how to compose Golden Sun music. God tier soundtrack pretty much confirmed.

Those of you who love a bit of fanart and shippy things can check out this awesome Tumblr blog about Golden Sun

tl;dr - Discuss the shit out of this amazing underrated unpopular franchise.

Edit: Reviews are in:
GT - 8.5/10
1Up - B
Nintendo Power - 8/10
ONM - 92%

Considering it's a modern JRPG with the original Golden Sun's style, not bad at all.

( Edited 02.08.2014 00:04 by SuperLink )

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

Can't wait, can't wait. Smilie

With any luck, this still being on DS means GBA Connectivity with The Lost Age (would have to borrow a phat/lite for that Smilie ). Since the protagonists are new it probably wouldn't equal a level boost like before, but some bonus for a completed Lost Age file would be appreciated.

Very good thread. If nothing else, we could use this thread for any Golden Sun developments.

TAG: That American Guy

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Phoeniku said:
With any luck, this still being on DS means GBA Connectivity with The Lost Age (would have to borrow a phat/lite for that Smilie ). Since the protagonists are new it probably wouldn't equal a level boost like before, but some bonus for a completed Lost Age file would be appreciated.

I certainly hope so. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a code on The Lost Age, but there is Clear Data, which I assume wouldn't simply be there for no reason, so maybe Camelot put it in there just incase they were to make a game on the DS?

I'm not holding my breath though. It's been a long time since GBA support was abandoned for DS', even though the new Pokémon titles still use it.

I wonder who Karis is >> her connections to any previous protagonists are very vague. A lot of people suggest her hair colour is a mix of her parents', but that still leaves a lot of combinations. She's also a Jupiter Adept, meaning one of her parents may be one too.

Now I feel like playing through them again. It's been about 2 years since I did it last, I think. Smilie

Jaegar (guest) 22.06.2010#5

Piers x Sheba just doesn't sound right. Smilie

Jaegar (guest) said:
Piers x Sheba just doesn't sound right. Smilie

I agree there, but I'd rather see that pairing than Ivan x Mia. That one just sounds extremely weird to me, for some reason. ._.

the golden sun games are my fave games of all time, i love them so so much and i can not wait for dark dawn to be out. its my most wanted game at the moment, i'll probaly play it for hours on end when i get ir.

My Name Is Kizarny
hizave yizou sizeen thize hizuman bizlockhead

Just watched some hands-on clips of the game in motion and it looks incredible for a DS game. My feelings of the DS hardware aside, I really think Golden Sun will make one hell of a swan song for the DS. Smilie

It's feels so good that we're getting a new handheld traditional RPG that isn't a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest remake. Even better that that game be Golden Sun. Smilie
(I don't count DQ9 as they all tend to be very basic gameplay-wise)

( Edited 03.07.2010 21:36 by Ifrit XXII )

It's got grizzly bears with pink claws.

It's got smooth looking 3d graphics that look like they hold a torch to some Chrono Trigger visuals and it's own roots in it's first 2 games.

It's got the 2 minute long over the kill special moves.

It's got http://itislookingatus.ytmnd.com/

It's Golden Sun dammit.

"We're mentalist psychic Scots, which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh." Fly fast, stay low, hit hard
Guide to using the Metroid Bounty Hunters.
{Guild}Ohmdal: But how did you get the poo inside of the box when the goat was sleeping on top of it?
{Guild}Ohmdal: oops wrong chat

Jim (guest) 23.06.2010#10

It's been so long since I played the games I forget most of what happened in regards to the story, still I remember one thing and thats having fun playing them.

I'll be there day 1.

I really need to start Lost Age again, I had a ROM of it as absoluely nowhere in Basingstoke stocked it. Got to the Jupiter Lighthouse I think (that is the one where you get Isaac & co. isn't it?) and then just gave up as it was so hard and had no idea how to get to the ML. So I have no idea what happens at the end of Lost Age Smilie

This new one looks okay, really sceptical about the new characters though, I always get funny about 'descendents' and stuff in games... will have to wait for more videos before properly judging the battle system though.

And yeh Ivan + Mia is weird... weren't Ivan and Sheba both supposed to be a fair bit younger than Isaac/Garet etc?

Robsy said:
And yeh Ivan + Mia is weird... weren't Ivan and Sheba both supposed to be a fair bit younger than Isaac/Garet etc?

Well they were all "kids", under 18 for the most part. Ivan and Sheba were younger, but as adults that wouldn't really stop any relationships from evolving.

Got to the Jupiter Lighthouse I think (that is the one where you get Isaac & co. isn't it?)

Pretty sure it is yeah.

looks as though there is both touch screen and d-pad control, im happy there is d-pad control especialy when the touch screen control looks dreadfull.

My Name Is Kizarny

Its the GBA games with improvements they really cant go wrong especially after everything ive seen i hope this game is EPIC

Hi, so I'm confused about the ending of Golden Sun 2 and how it will fit in with the third game.

The way I think they could make this make sense and awesome is that Isaac has gone away on a journey. Matthew decides to follow in his foot steps and become a great Adept. He traces his father's movements and through this, you find out what happened after the second game.

Ultima said:
Hi, so I'm confused about the ending of Golden Sun 2 and how it will fit in with the third game.

Events between GS2 and 3 aren't necessary. As far as the cast is concerned, their lives are now peaceful, and they are adapting to the new world they created.

Image for

Boxfart?
Found it on amazon.

Jimmy2000 said:
Image for

Boxfart?
Found it on amazon.

Looks amazing.

I hope the EU version boxart is good too.

that box art is smexy, i need this game right now.

My Name Is Kizarny

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn will be called Golden Sun: Obscure Aurora in Europe.

Here's a compilation of Japanese TV spots and some new Famitsu scans

Image for

Image for

Image for

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

Squidboy said:
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn will be called Golden Sun: Obscure Aurora in Europe.

Do you have a source for this? It's a weird name and I don't see a reason for the change. I thought it was just a rumour.

By the way, since I last posted in this thread, 4 more party members have been revealed. I'll update the first post with info eventually.

Eoleo is a Mars Adept, he's the son of Briggs, and he was a young child in Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Himi is a Venus Adept, she's a priestess
Harumani is a Mercury Adept, and the prince of a water kingdom.
Stella is a Jupiter Adept, she's part of a man beast race and is the first non-human player character in the franchise so far.
Isaac and Garet have also been confirmed as temporary party members.

I'll post art and stuff later, it's all looking really brilliant, I just hope the game is big enough to accomodate character development for everyone! Smilie

It's not weird, this is most likely it's original name, with the US versions name having been dumbed down. On the box art, the dragons in the atmosphere look to be composed from the phenomena we on earth know as "Aurora Borealis", which happens to be the Roman term for "Goddess of Dawn".

From what I can make out, Gamekyo were sent a batch of official images and the subtitle read, "Obscure Aurora".

http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr38249_golden-sun-ds-change-de-nom-images.html

3DS Code 2578-3122-0744

Looks more like the suns corona to me which can normally be seen during an eclipse hence a "Dark Dawn".
Makes quite a bit of sense seeing as it looks like the sun is being blocked by some sort of object in the art.

Don't mind the name change if it is indeed being changed.

( Edited 24.10.2010 20:09 by Jimmy2000 )

http://ds.ign.com/articles/113/1136121p1.html

I can't comment on whether this reviewer is right about the game or not -- haven't bought it yet. But I have to comment on what a crappy review this is.

For DS owners, Golden Sun is our Call of Duty. It is our BIG game. And he posts up a one page review that reads like it was hastily thrown together the night before. Very little content in the review, and its also very vague, as if he didn't really finish the game.

You'd think he was writing about Petz.

ONM gave the game 92%. It's also had a 92% from NGamer.

Dark Dawn just looks more of the same which some may not like but I couldn't be happier with that. Smilie

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, Chris125, Ofisil

There are 3 members online at the moment.