Beyond Good And Evil

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 28.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Price:

It's out next month on Xbox Live Arcade!(on PSN too though I dunno if it's same day release) Anyone else thinking on getting it or at least replaying your copies on your older consoles?
It would be a great time to try it if you never got around to playing it when it first came out.

And who knows maybe if it does well on a digital release we could see ubisoft more open to a sequal?

( Edited 13.02.2011 05:48 by Jimmy2000 )

I have never played this game. Is it good? Smilie

Our member of the week

It's good. I just hope they removed the bit with "take the code, input it on Ubisoft's website, receive another code, input in the game, unlock the last optional mission... profit !!"

I played it to try and complete everything too late, so their website didn't work anymore Smilie.

Other than that, this XBLA/PSN version looks like it's just the old PC version from 8 years ago (which had HD resolution) released on consoles. I wonder if there'll be any graphic improvement (from the look of it, there isn't apart from the resolution), or any extra content.

( Edited 13.02.2011 07:47 by Kafei2006 )

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Jimmy2000 said:

And who knows maybe if it does well on a digital release we could see ubisoft more open to a sequal?

A sequal is in development already. Old news.

( Edited 13.02.2011 10:53 by Birdo Is A Tranny )

Yes i'm aware of the announcement but it's been two years since that, at this point it's just vapor-ware, maybe this is them gearing up for an e3 announcement though? Generate some interest in the brand.

If there is no Beyond Good And Evil 2 news this year i'm thinking the franchise is dead.

( Edited 13.02.2011 16:00 by Jimmy2000 )

Never played it, might pick this up. 800 points seems fair.

Jimmy2000 said:
Yes i'm aware of the announcement but it's been two years since that, at this point it's just vapor-ware, maybe this is them gearing up for an e3 announcement though? Generate some interest in the brand.

If there is no Beyond Good And Evil 2 news this year i'm thinking the franchise is dead.

Last year Yves Guillemot said they were stil working on it. And Ancel is working with a small team, so of course development will take a while. You can't just say a franchise is dead after two years, Duke Nukem Forever was announced 14 years ago.

I played it on GC and found it a bit boring.

It's going to be shit and you jolly well know it.

Lrrr said:
Jimmy2000 said:

Last year Yves Guillemot said they were stil working on it. And Ancel is working with a small team, so of course development will take a while. You can't just say a franchise is dead after two years, Duke Nukem Forever was announced 14 years ago.

Original Game came out 8 years ago.
Game sold crap but was very good.
We receive CGI trailer 2 years ago.
Then silence on the matter, just that a small team is working on it. That inspires great confidence!

Duke Nukem WAS vaperware and an industry joke, you really don't want your game to end up like that. There just trying to cash in on nostalgia with the brand at this point and resembles nothing the game was going to be.
The original team don't even exist anymore, they were all fired.

( Edited 13.02.2011 19:22 by Jimmy2000 )

I never got around to it, so at only 800 points, I'd strongly consider it.

I didn't really see what was special about it, to be honest. I never completed it and I don't feel like playing it again.

Kafei2006 said:
It's good. I just hope they removed the bit with "take the code, input it on Ubisoft's website, receive another code, input in the game, unlock the last optional mission... profit !!"

Wait, what? There was more!? Bastard Ubisoft, like most of us would do that anyway, it's like the crap Square-Enix pulled with the FFIX Strategy Guide and Playonline.

Provided that isn't necessary this time, might look into this port.

Our member of the week

Phoenixus said:
Wait, what? There was more!? Bastard Ubisoft, like most of us would do that anyway, it's like the crap Square-Enix pulled with the FFIX Strategy Guide and Playonline.

Provided that isn't necessary this time, might look into this port.

Yeah every new game you make, the game generates a random code that you get at some point late into the game. But since you can't input it on Ubisoft's website anymore, you can't complete that on your old version, be it XBox, PS2, or as was the case for me... Gamecube.

That aside, it was still a really good game to me, with that distinct feeling "à la Rayman".

Jacob4000 said:
I never got around to it, so at only 800 points, I'd strongly consider it.

I'd say it's a good buy for 800 space bananas.

Jimmy2000 said:

Then silence on the matter, just that a small team is working on it. That inspires great confidence!

There were several valid reasons given by Yves on why there was a small team working on the project.

Jimmy2000 said:

Duke Nukem WAS vaperware and an industry joke, you really don't want your game to end up like that. There just trying to cash in on nostalgia with the brand at this point and resembles nothing the game was going to be.
The original team don't even exist anymore, they were all fired.

And why was the original team fired, because they fucked up. Do you think it was all some kind of terrible joke? A real business had actual money invested into this project and the team squandered it away.

It wasn't vaporware, it was in development. You have no idea what you talking about, some parts of the games engine ARE over 13 years old. That's hardly for shits and giggles now is it?

( Edited 14.02.2011 18:09 by Birdo Is A Tranny )

To say the current version of Duke Nukem that we finally get was in development for 10+ years is complete nonsense.
I do not belive that an engine has componants that are 13 years old, technology and graphics cards are so different today it would be kind of insane.

At best maybe sketches of monsters may have survived but the actual game it's self has probably been in development for about 2 years, by a completely different team no less.

What we were getting in 1997 is gone and was never going to come out.
Everything from the old games were most likely scrapped.

You could say Mario Galaxy was in development for 13 years and rightly you probably wouldn't have Mario Galaxy today if they didn't have Mario 64 or Sunshine to build upon, but Nintendo (or any sane publisher or developer) actually RELEASED these version of their game rather than scrapping them every time they seen some new technology to add.
If they had of released the various Duke Nukem projects they were working on I'd say we would have probably had at least 5 duke nukems forever's by now Smilie

Vaporware describes products, usually computer hardware or software, not released on the date announced by their developer, or announced months or years before their release. The word usually implies a negative opinion of a product or developer, and pessimistic uncertainty that it will eventually be released.

So yeah that description pretty much fits both Duke and BGAE.

( Edited 14.02.2011 18:43 by Jimmy2000 )

All you have to do is look at the trailer to see that the graphics are well dated.

They obviously haven't had any version of the game complete enough for a retail release. This is just a good example of when a company does not realise when enough is enough. They shouldn't have given themselves so much leeway.

Of course this game is not going to be the same one we should have gotten years ago, it's been over ten years in development! That's the whole point of a game being in development things change, for good or for bad. Some things have been scraped while other things have been added.
The development clock doesn't reset every time a change is made to the project. Just because it's not the same game any more doesn't mean the time it took to develop it changed. More time spent on a project = more likely changes will be made to it (In this case over ten years of changes).

Jimmy2000 said:

You could say Mario Galaxy was in development for 13 years...

What a ridiculous comment, you could say that about almost any game in existence.

BG&E2 was made "vaporware" by the fans, it never had an official release. We were told originally there was going to be a trilogy, then told the whole project was scraped. The thing was dead, it was rumors that remained.

Vapourware usually implies that the publisher/developer never has any intention of releasing the final product. They did intend on releasing Duke Nukem Forever on the release date published, but the project suffered from a series of unfortunate events.

( Edited 14.02.2011 20:23 by Birdo Is A Tranny )

Our member of the week

Birdo Is A Tranny said:

BG&E2 was made "vaporware" by the fans, it never had an official release.

Take Sadness on Wii. Same thing... or not Smilie.

What a ridiculous comment, you could say that about almost any game in existence.

Yeah, that was kind of my point. Way to pick it out of context...

LinkyShinks (guest) 14.02.2011#20

I'm pretty sure I read that DNF is running on the Unreal 2 Engine. And the game looks incredibly dated.

BGE2 has a small team for artistic reasons. The Mere rerelease of the original is a positive sign. Why waste effort porting it otherwise if it sold poorly originally unless you want to build anticipation of it

Jimmy2000 said:

Yeah, that was kind of my point. Way to pick it out of context...

I didn't take it out of context, that's exactly what you were trying to propose. Development of Galaxy started AFTER Sunshine (Less than 5 years of development), any development before that was for a totally different game (i.e. Sunshine). Duke Nukem has been in development for 13+ years even if it has under gone drastic changes in those years, we're still talking about the same game.

LinkyShinks (guest) said:
I'm pretty sure I read that DNF is running on the Unreal 2 Engine.

If it's the Unreal Engine 2 (which is 10 years old next year) it would have to be a heavily modified version of it.

LinkyShinks (guest) said:
I'm pretty sure I read that DNF is running on the Unreal 2 Engine. And the game looks incredibly dated.

BGE2 has a small team for artistic reasons. The Mere rerelease of the original is a positive sign. Why waste effort porting it otherwise if it sold poorly originally unless you want to build anticipation of it

Thats why I said if there was no news this year i'd be worried the franchise is gone, it would be odd to re-release this game and not have anyword about it, thats all I ment.

I didn't take it out of context, that's exactly what you were trying to propose. Development of Galaxy started AFTER Sunshine (Less than 5 years of development), any development before that was for a totally different game (i.e. Sunshine). Duke Nukem has been in development for 13+ years even if it has under gone drastic changes in those years, we're still talking about the same game.

And you don't think they used what the learned in developing those previous games or even assets in newer games, you think they simply throw everything out the window and restart from scratch?
Thats what i'm getting at but it seems to be flying over your head.

The game was stuck in a development hell, some work was done, then scrapped then restarted and continued on like this, constantly restarting.

To say the game we are getting is a result of 10 years of development is wrong, that would mean the game coming out this year in May, every little thing was planned back in 1997 and they have been refining that game since then, that the last 2 years has been spent on something like simply polishing up the levels or bug testing or something :/

The vision and concept for a Duke Nukem Forver might be 10 years old, the actual game were getting has not been in development for 10 years.

It's kind of like saying if "Halo: The Movie" was released in 2015 that it was 10 years in the making because they had a preliminary script finished in 2005, it wouldn't be it probably be at most 3 years.

( Edited 15.02.2011 16:08 by Jimmy2000 )

Jimmy2000 said:

And you don't think they used what the learned in developing those previous games or even assets in newer games, you think they simply throw everything out the window and restart from scratch?
Thats what i'm getting at but it seems to be flying over your head.

I know exactly what you are saying, what you were trying to do is compare the development cycles of Mario Galaxy to the development of Duke Nukem Forever, which you can't.

Mario Galaxy was NOT in development for over ten years, Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are three totally separate games i.e. three totally separate development cycles. When you start blurring the lines between the development of separate projects, you can lose the identity of the project, which is probably happened Forever they didn't know if they were coming or going.
In a successful business you have to have clear indications between the start and finish of projects you can't just jumble them all together as you see fit.

( Edited 15.02.2011 16:16 by Birdo Is A Tranny )

Duke Nukem Forver probably had separate development cycles, it was just for a game with the same name over and over again.

Then there was the constant rebooting of the project whenever a new game engine was released. 3D Realms licensed the Quake II engine in 1997 for a reported $500,000. When the Unreal engine was released a few months later, they decided to use that one instead. "It was effectively a reboot of the project in many respects," said former programmer Chris Hargrove. DNF switched engines again in 1999 when new Unreal engine came out.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97032-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Designers-Speak-Out

So even a designer from the project admits that the game was constantly rebooted, and i'm sure this didn't happen just once.

Development by Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever started in late 2009: “Clearly the game hadn’t been finished at 3D Realms but a lot of content had been created,”

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2010/09/04/duke-nukem-forever-development-continued-by-2k-games-coming-in-2011-playable-at-pax-prime-2010.htm

So yeah the game coming out this year has really only been in development for about 2 years, probably had some character models and things like that and such but the bulk of the game was created in those 2 years.

( Edited 15.02.2011 16:28 by Jimmy2000 )

Jimmy2000 said:

So yeah the game coming out this year has really only been in development for about 2 years, probably had some character models and things like that and such but the bulk of the game was created in those 2 years.

There is a lot of work done before anything even runs on the engine, you seem to think that development = actual time coding. It doesn't, that is the point I'm trying to get across. Of course the project would have to be edited drastically when they scrapped the old engine and began working with the new one.

Development by Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever started in late 2009: “Clearly the game hadn’t been finished at 3D Realms but a lot of content had been created

Did you even read the article? The company is FINISHING the project (The one started by 3d Realms) not throwing it out and starting again. All it is, is a change in developer. Nothing more.

( Edited 15.02.2011 20:57 by Birdo Is A Tranny )

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Insanoflex

There are 1 members online at the moment.