Nintendo DS | Your Wish List

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 23.05.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Well we don't know too much about it, but that doesn't mean we can't start setting up a wish list for what we would like to see.

Personally I would like to see a Pok

Trying to think of a witty signature after 'Hacker-gate'...

Software that enables you to access the internet without relying on Wappy crappiness, plus obviously bluetooth, so that more people can be bluejacked Smilie

I just hope Nintendo are going to commit themselves to making software which will compliment the machine, rather than just compromising existing software capabilities to fit the two-screen format. The problem with GC/GBA connectivity has always been that it is non-essential; a gimmick. I don't want to have too many preconceptions about the DS, but I just hope Nintendo stick to their word and use it to showcase ideas that could not have been done otherwise, rather than just split single-screen games into two for the sake of it (sorry Nintendo, but I still remember the 'Power Glove' and the robot thingy for the NES)...

...I only grumble because, off the top of my head, I can't think of what the hell they're going to do with the machine.

well, if this final fantasy cc thing works, with the stats on the gba screen, then something similar could be done with any number of rpgs. the original snes mario kart used half of the screen for a rear view/ positions display, so it could concievably function in that fashion aswell. something absolutely revolutionary could be done, but i don't know what that could be. how about a version of elite for the bbc micro with the action on one screen and a sort of stock market type thing on the other?

i am the GOD BEEVER! kneel before me, slaves!

raindog wrote:
I just hope Nintendo are going to commit themselves to making software which will compliment the machine, rather than just compromising existing software capabilities to fit the two-screen format. The problem with GC/GBA connectivity has always been that it is non-essential; a gimmick.

Hit the nail on the head with that one. This just smells of 'gimick' to me. The example Nintendo gave I think had something to do with football games. On one screen you see the full game and on the other you see an individual tackle or reply or something. I can't see how they can use it too constructivly. I am hoping I will be suprised at E3 and it will be a stunning innovative piece that shows masses of potential and has some excellent titles, but I have some doubts. Smilie

I'm crossing my fingers that the screens are joinable for games like First Person Shooters. Most GBA ones are awful. Otherwise the (bigger screen) PSP has a major advantage.

If the two screens can't join:
> Third parties will just use the 2nd screen for maps and stats
> We are stuck looking at one GBA screen
??????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Duffman ~~~~~~~~~
"If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything", Daniel Dennett

Welcome duffman.

I think that the DS will have two independant screens. In that one will show one game entity and one another. The example of football is a good one.

Left screen you see the normal football view for videogames and on the right screen you see individual events and the like.

So you make a tackle which you see from distance on the left screen, and on the right it shows you it close up with more details etc.

When you put it like that, it sure sounds rubbish, but I have a glimmer of hope Nintendo have more planned than this, it will fail if they don't.

What I do not understand is why not have a Widescreen or Tallscreen that is 3 inches by 6 inches, that can be split off depending on what the developers want to do, This would allow for all the things nintendo are saying (apart from it wont fold up to be neat) and also would open up the development for games that use the full screen, or other things.

I think they have too many GBA's and too many Lids of GBA SP's, so they are going to attach them together.

But hey, at least nintendo will be tops in one chart!

the chart of "two screened Mutant portable handhelds"

I put the mutant bit in cos it sounded like hte old tennage mutant ninja turtle themesong

The 2nd screen will be brilliant if it is used properly:
Nintendo will make some new innovative ideas.

How will it change existing genres/games?

It would be cool to have one screen following missiles (especially homing) in a metroid game.

In 2D Zeldas the second screen could be a menu

It would be not so useful in tactics games

2D mario games?
classic RPGs?
Pokemon?
Stealth Games?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Duffman ~~~~~~~~~
"If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything", Daniel Dennett

Well if the second screen is used just for menus and maps, that not really that inovative...

Well it will certinaly get developers thinking about how to make a game with two screens cuz im stumped with what to come up with...

I would love to see a Metroid game on the DS, on one screen is the first-person view and the other is the third-person view. In first-person view you could accurately shoot down enemies with auto lock etc. In third-person view you could do more of the exploring. A switch between screens button would be needed though.

Has punk died?

if its just used for menus or following homing missiles.. thats completely pointless. I see this just being a gimic to be honest, unless it was used in the sense that someone said before where it has dual images and creates a 3d image where you use those stupid glasses from the imax etc... wouldnt exactly be the coolest item on the block though..hehe

but judging from the football example given by the nintendo spokesman its not going to be that good. I'll still probably buy it because it will have some good games on it, but i doubt having a feature which has maps and menus is really that worthwhile...

prove me wrong nintendo...

Just to set a few things straight, the screens can be used together (ie as one big screen, they are set vertically (so one above the other, not left and right). And the 3d Holograpghic screens that have been mentioned do not need glasses and do not depend on having two screens (they are apparently used in some mobile phones in Japan).

As for games, ive had a few ideas, apart from the obvious using one screen as a menu or using it for different angles...

A game where you controll two seperate characters that move about the game world independantly.

A game where one screen shows you something (like clues, or a location) and then you have to find youre way there, or do what it says or something.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Insanoflex

There are 1 members online at the moment.