The Xbox/360/720 Topic

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 01.05.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

From the general consensus online, my friends, and c3, everyone's not impressed at all with the One. Like SuperLink said, graphics are not that revolutionary, especially when compared to PC's (who have been doing this for years now). Tech is cool I guess, but pretty unnecessary. The main drawback, I think, is how Microsoft is handling this. Always on functionality, forced paywall for pre-owned games, and a confusing (at least to the general market) handle on backwards compatibility. Sooooooooooooooo stupid.

The bad news keeps coming (the ride never ends)

Xbox Live TV will only be in US at launch, and will require a separately sold device

I thought the "One" aspect was supposed to mean it was all built into the console?

EDIT: With all the Madden, TV only in US, and the kind of games shown so far, it kinda seems like they only want it to sell in the States? Other places exist y'know MS.

EDIT 2: It's pretty big;

Image for

( Edited 21.05.2013 20:48 by SuperLink )

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery

SuperLink said:
Xbox Live TV will only be in US at launch, and will require a separately sold device
I thought the "One" aspect was supposed to mean it was all built into the console?

If true, then XboxOne isn't so "Simple. Instant. Complete." or  "the all-in-one entertainment system"

Image for

Image for

This is looking very much better for Nintendo - it sounds like a really convoluted setup despite the "One" nature of the system, and the need to have Kinect connected and the high price? Wow.  I don't think people will grab a £400 Xbox with slightly improved visuals with some tricky drawbacks. However, with Blu Ray and whatnot, it might be ideal for those wanting both media and gaming.

The initial FIFA, Madden etc just seems so boring and standard.

People keep going on about how One/PS4 will dominate the market and push Wii U aside, but at this rate the Wii U might just become the more affordable option.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

I have a laptop, smart phone and TV box. Many people have a tablet too, and some have smart TVs. We are covered for TV, Skype and other multimedia. I don't want another means to control all of this, I want something to play games on. I couldn't care less about live footage from the NFL, if I have my console turned on, I want to be playing games.

I wish I had played some games instead of watching that conference.

Sums it all up pretty nicely.

( Edited 22.05.2013 00:53 by SirLink )

Image for

Call of Duty, Halo and sports are the only things the 16-24 year old male demographics need. The feature they really need though is a crappy beer dispenser. Once they have that, I'm sold.

Just started watching the Xbox One presentation. I didn't think anything of the name Xbox One until I started hearing it. I'll get used to it over time, but every time I hear "starts with Xbox One" I, for a split second, think of the original Xbox.

I honestly don't know what to say... Seriously, I'm speechless.

I guess good luck to them.

Modplan Man said:
Call of Duty, Halo and sports are the only things the 16-24 year old male demographics need. The feature they really need though is a crappy beer dispenser. Once they have that, I'm sold.

LOL true - during the video above "TV TV TV" "SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS" I was expecting "BEER BEER BEER"

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Okay..Was Bill Gates high of his ass when he came up with the name...I mean, really? The Xbox One? WE ALREADY HAVE AN XBOX ONE!!

Thought this was quite funny

They did one for the ps4 as well xD

Nintendo Network ID: LKR000               PSN: LKR000     
3DS: 1246-8696-120                              GT: LKR101

Bad indie support, mixed reports and Microsoft falling silent on numerous subjects.. it's all very messy.

Even BBC is reporting the backlash; it's undeniable that MS messed up big time with this.
Never has a console reveal been met with so much (understandable) criticism, this is consumer-screwing on a pretty big level. I really hope MS changes a lot of these "features".

Don Mattrick just said something like;
"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards"
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/05/22/microsoft-and-sony-diverge-on-gaming-cloud/?utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer94b3f

EDIT:
Xbox One specs may not be all that compared to PS4 or PCs;

Image for

( Edited 22.05.2013 20:35 by SuperLink )

I have always been an Xbox gamer, its been my only console since 2003 but i'm seriously questioning this new console.. SOO many restrictions  what are microsoft doing? Talk about power hungry.

Obviously it depends on games, but I might make the switch to playstation for this next gen. Guess E3 will be good to demo some games.

I'll just leave this here:

Image for

Gif speaks the truth, microsoft are very powerful hungry it seems here and it will work against them. Very disappointed.

This post from NeoGAF is pretty good,
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=58890845

It puts things into perspective, and talks about how we still know so little. It's better worded than anything I could have said, really.

I'm a bit anxious to be honest, I sincerely hope that other consoles don't follow suite, this seemingly draconian environment solicits a weird claustrophobic feeling, it isn't really how I want to enjoy games.. if that happens to all consoles, it's one of the things that could make me give up gaming for good. Smilie

For anyone who missed details on the second hand issue:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-phil-harrison-on-xbox-one-kinect-indie-games-and-red-rings

Suffice to say, the PR spin is that this is just like how you might normally lend your game to someone. The reality is, if you lend your game to someone for any prolonged period of time, they will be required to stay logged in to your account on their Xbox the entire time they have it, or you will have to give your account details. It isn't just a pain in the ass, it enourages people to jeapordise the security of their accounts to be able to do something as simple as play a friends or relatives copy of a game.

Microsoft is likely to be trying to do several things, mostly based around getting more money out of users by doing the following:

• Pushing publishers to tie games to online services ("the cloud" stuff they've been pushing) that will no doubt require an annual subscription to access at all, or to get the most out of their already $60/£50 games. Even better is you get planned obsolescence for free - just turn off the servers after 2 years and get people to buy this years version of X game series.

• "Regulate" the second hand market. Based on the details we have, the price of second hand games becomes controlled, whilst also requiring MIcrosoft and the publisher to get a cut. This also allows them to maintain first hand retail prices for much longer should they want to, if they'd need to reduce them at all.

• Introduce Sim City-like bs where claims of heavy computation being done via MS's cloud service are used to justify always online requirements for games that don't actually need it. No doubt the cloud stuff will largely turn out to be red herrings just as it did with Sim City.

• Bring user monitoring via Kinect to help with all this. See Microsof'ts patent for detecting whether there are too many people watching a film, though whether they'll have the balls to actually follow through will be interesting.

• Generally erode personal property and privacy rights, like routing around the right of first sale, because copyright is the most important thing in the universe. If I say the magic word "license", then fuck you, buddy.
It's like someone sat down, granted every wish of the major publishers and the entertainment industry, whilst being insane enough to think someone would want a console designed around nothing more than being a DRM box. That's all this console is - something to monitor your use of every peice of entertainment you own for the sake of extracting more money out of you.

( Edited 26.05.2013 23:31 by Modplan Man )

xD

New details have been released:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

So basically:

• The system will stop you playing games if you have not been connected for 24 hours or more. This is reduced to 1 hour if playing from someone elses console. How your primary console is specified is not clear. Do not own an Xbox 360, but I assume such a system doesn't exist there either.

• You can only give games to people who have been on your friends list (and continue to be) for at least 30 days. Whether you are allowed to do so is controlled by the publisher.

• Similarly, trade ins/second hand sales are controlled by publishers, and only at "participating retailers". No "platform fee". Publishers may choose to set a fee or other terms with said retailers.

• Loaning and renting will not be supported at launch

• The only nice sounding part is the claim of giving up to 10 family members access to your library. How family members are specified is not mentioned, and once again is at the discretion of publishers as to whether they allow it for x game.
Also:

Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you're not playing.

Nice assumption there Microsoft. Which is funny, considering they allow connection via mobile broadband, which is usually expensive, slow and capped.

( Edited 07.06.2013 02:22 by Modplan Man )

Journalists aren't happy, this list has been floating around GAF;

That's a huge outcry, I just hope the consumers themselves outcry likewise so we get some changes.

Wow, the Xbox One actually got something INTERESTING? Color me suprised!

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/10/killer-instinct-announced-for-xbox-one/

After a long hiatus, Killer Instinct FINALLY makes a return. Wow, and to think MS would be kind enough to let Rare out of the dungeon making Kinect games.

EDIT: Uh oh.
UH OH.
MICROSOFT FUCKED UP.
THEY FUCKED UP BAD.
Xbox One price revealed:
500 US DOLLARS AND €499.
THAT'S NOT GOOD.
THAT'S NOT GOOD AT ALL.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/10/xbox-one-to-launch-this-november-at-499-499/

( Edited 10.06.2013 19:16 by CrystalMushroom )

Yeah the MS conference was actually really good, some nice exclusives they got. I still don't think I'll buy one because of all the consoles downfalls but I guess we'll see.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo, lukezeppo

There are 2 members online at the moment.