Official Wii U Discussion Thread

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 26.04.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

SuperLink said:
Considering SNES games are like £1.20 to transfer or something I wouldn't be surprised if N64 games were around £3 :c it's weird that N64 games haven't been confirmed for VC yet, I wonder what they're doing Smilie

Maybe they're up-ressing them again? They were 480p on the Wii.

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

"We're a development company...Nintendo gives us money, we make Bayonetta 2 and W101, and they sell it...So if Nintendo says 'We're putting Bayonetta 2 on PS360' it'll come out on those platforms...So ask Nintendo about it..." - Hideki Kamiya

Fuck..
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=195893

( Edited 09.02.2013 21:44 by Linkyshinks )

Our member of the week

Ifrit XXII said:
I just hope it doesn't cost like £3 just to transfer an N64 game I already spent £7 on. Smilie

Considering N64 games which were 240i originally, were upscaled to 480i (480p for 60Hz games), I would expect their Wii U VC counterparts to be upgraded to 720p at the very least, if not 1080p, which IMHO would justify some additional fee (or at least, this would make them worthwhile for me, but I can understand if others think it's still unjustified).

Actually, the fact that this would require a fair bit more work from them to insure that the whole N64 VC catalog runs flawlessly in HD... makes me think that's the very reason we haven't heard of it yet: They're working on it.

Cubed3 Limited Staff :: Review and Feature Writer

Are we talking about upscaling or uprendering? Because upscaling is already done automatically, to 1080p.

Uprendering is something the Dolphin emulator does. I hope Nintendo will do it.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the later N64 games were 480(i?). Maybe only with the expansion pack?

Linkyshinks said:

Fuck..
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=195893

Yeah, that was brought up by a member of Neogaf, who was the one who started the rumour, it doesn't really surprise me.

In fact here's the thread.

( Edited 10.02.2013 00:51 by Azuardo )

Follow Me on twitter :: @Stulaw90 || My Youtube || Backloggery
NNID: Stulaw

Doesn't sound great but I'm not surprised either. 3DS managed to turn things around quite drastically after a year or two, but if worse comes to worst we'll just have another Gamecube on our hands (when it comes to support that is).

It's honestly strange that developers don't put much effort into Nintendo development when Nintendo systems are usually the ones that sell best or make the most money. I guess it's because they can't get sales when compared to being overshadowed by Nintendo's own games. If blops didn't sell, it's because people bought the WiiU for Mario, not blops.

Twitter | C3 Writer/Moderator | Backloggery
Our member of the week

Canyarion said:
Are we talking about upscaling or uprendering? Because upscaling is already done automatically, to 1080p.

Uprendering is something the Dolphin emulator does. I hope Nintendo will do it.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the later N64 games were 480(i?). Maybe only with the expansion pack?

I meant uprendering of course, as in the native resolution being augmented.

That's untrue, few later N64 games were 480i (and yes, all N64 game were interlaced, how would a console without component or HDMI output a progressive scan signal?) 480i put a too big toll on the processor at the time, even with the expansion pak. I can remember only a few N64 games which were 480i. Star Wars Episode 1 Battle for Naboo was. Rayman 2 could run in 480i with the expansion pak. Resident Evil 2 as well, in rooms where there were one or two zombies at the most (otherwise it would switch to 240i to sustain an acceptable frame rate). Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, Perfect Dark... That's pretty much it.

Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Paper Mario... all these were 240i. Even Majora's Mask, which required the expansion pak, was only 240i. The expansion pak was put to another use in that specific case, which was to keep in memory the activities and positions of every NPC living their life in Clock Town at all times. DK64, I couldn't recall if it was just so the graphics were better and the game worlds larger, or if it was indeed 480i.

Full quote...

At DICE, nobody has been talking about the new Wii U projects they have started, only the Wii U projects that have just been cancelled. Platform is in serious trouble. Publishers and developers from the US, UK, France, Germany, and Australia mainly. Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. I'm not sensing that with Wii U. I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands". It is one of the top rated games for the platform.-Sidhe Interactive co-founder Mario Wynands

It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo react.

So they expected a game that is also available on other platforms with vastly higher install bases and was released earlier on them (I think this is actually the case for every third party multiplat that's in the top rated Wii U games) to sell millions over time? Genius.

Considering the WiiU has only sold ~4million units WORLDWIDE, and even that is tons for a launch window, and most of the WiiU's high rated games have been available on other systems for a while already.. anyone who wanted that game would probably already have it on another system, or bought the WiiU for Nintendo games. Why the heck would you expect a western game to sell millions over time when the regions where western games actually sell have only shipped 1/2 million consoles? Where the hell is that logic? This is why I think it's a rumour, said third party game is apparently expecting an attach rate of 1:1 from western consumers.

It's bizarre to think an old third party title would sell a million on a system where the first party titles are focus. ZombiU likely wasn't expected to sell that much either.
Honestly I'm calling rumour blown out of proportion, but I don't really remember many conferences from the GC or Wii's time talking about how amazing the Nintendo systems were. As proven by the GC, this is nothing to do with console power that the GC had in plenty, it's to do with Nintendo's third party relations and their overshadowing of third party games. It's not something that was ever gonna vanish overnight.

This is hardly "serious trouble", it's this kind of doom and gloom that is blown way out of proportion. Even in the worst case scenario, the WiiU will perform better and have better games than the Gamecube, a platform loved by many people.

It's far more likely that Nintendo has given embargo to many big third party projects, so they have a bit more oomph at their upcoming shows. Just saying. Nintendo won't announce cancelled titles at their shows so no one cares if they talk about em at DICE.

DICE isn't a show that people expect to have a Nintendo presence; Nintendo didn't hype it up at all of acknowledge its existence, its main userbase would probably not pay total attention, Nintendo will want their big third party exclusives known to all their fans becaue it's a marketing point for them; a Nintendo Direct or conference is more likely place to show new third party games for third parties that want more attention.

Srsly guys. Just use common sense for a sec - If third parties struggle on Nintendo platforms, why?? It's because Nintendo overshadow them and Nintendo themselves to not promote them enough to the userbase. If that's gonna change, Nintendo needs to work far closer with third parties (as they say they will) and they'll need to make sure their users know these games are coming and that they're awesome - because Nintendo fans probably do not watch DICE. Sure it won't get attention of gamers who want other systems that way, but when things are shown from Nintendo at times their presence is actually expected, eyes are on them and people are surprised by the amount they dish out.

( Edited 10.02.2013 10:50 by SuperLink )

Nintendo's attitude towards 3rd parties has already been a lot better than in previous generations. They spend lots of time on 3rd party games in Nintendo Directs, E³, etc.

If I'm frustrated when games get cancelled, it's mostly because in the end it will mean poorer 3rd party support. Sure, I was going to enjoy Rayman Legends, but I can live without it. But such a huge slap in Nintendo's face means other will follow suit. And that means less games that I really want.

Some 3rd parties also seem very questionable in their efforts since the beginning. A year late port of ME3, while the other platforms get ME Trilogy? That's pathetic. FIFA that misses some features (and has bad controls and a terrible demo)? AC3 and Black Ops 2 that don't get their patches and DLC properly like on the other platforms? A 6/10 port of a 4/10 game (Ninja Gaiden)?

On the other hand I expected lots of title do do much better. Me personally, I bought Little Inferno, Nano Assault Neo and Trine 2. All great games and well worth their money. I got Nintendo Land and Mario, both good games.
Why don't more people buy games for their new console? Beats me.

Our member of the week

On the other hands, the only games I haven't bought yet, which I'm mildly interested in getting are... Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U... Simply because 3rd parties need my money on Wii U more than Nintendo itself... and I want to send Nintendo the message that the New Super Mario Bros has gone stale a long time ago and that if they want my money and can't stop making 2D Marios, they need to look at Super Mario World... Nintendo Land, I borrowed, and frankly, while most mini games are fun, it's not worth the price it sells for.

EA would be crazy not to release a golf game on Wii U. Surprised they're still using Tiger Woods to front their product...

We're currently focused on delivering a great Tiger Woods PGA TOUR experience for our fans on the Xbox 360 and PS3, where we have a great opportunity to connect fans to the real world of golf and each other. We don't have any further platform announcements at this time. - EA statement

EA sounds childishly bitter about the platform lately, maybe Nintendo came up with loads of conditions for Origin or something, i.e. maybe Nintendo didn't want their users to be barred from any WiiU game even if EA "banned" them from Origin.

Once the WiiU becomes more successful (an inevitability) EA would be stupid not to support it.

That's surprising. If I remember correctly, Tiger Woods was very successful on Wii. Seems like a missed opportunity to not have one for Wii U - small install base or not. 

^ Yeah, people will want to play sports games with the Wii Remote still for sure. If someone else snatches up that gimmick successfully on the WiiU and EA miss it, they'll be kicking themselves for being so darn petty.

Nintendo showed a great golf concept when they revealed the U... I don't understand why there's not a proper game like that yet.

SuperLink said:
EA sounds childishly bitter about the platform lately, maybe Nintendo came up with loads of conditions for Origin or something, i.e. maybe Nintendo didn't want their users to be barred from any WiiU game even if EA "banned" them from Origin.

Once the WiiU becomes more successful (an inevitability) EA would be stupid not to support it.

They really do...I don't get it myself. I think everyone is absolutely kidding themselves if they think they could only get one console to get all the best games.

Just being realistic here but surely owning all 3 consoles is the only way to get the best experience on the next generation....or of any generation. We are gamers here...not fan boys...

Also....

Faust D. Strooijer said:
JayUK, do you mean Superlink or Linkyshinks? I wouldn't say Superlink is trolling here,,,

Where the hell have you been!

Flynnie said:
Just being realistic here but surely owning all 3 consoles is the only way to get the best experience on the next generation....or of any generation. We are gamers here...not fan boys...

Pretty much exactly, so long as you're missing out on any one console, you're missing out on many of the gen's best games.

Which is exactly why it's stupid to count out Nintendo, that single developer comes out with enough quality games to make an entire platform worth owning - no third party developer in the industry churns out quality software as quickly and consistently as Nintendo themselves do.

Bias or no, that's something that's hard to deny.

SuperLink said:
Flynnie said:

Pretty much exactly, so long as you're missing out on any one console, you're missing out on many of the gen's best games.

Which is exactly why it's stupid to count out Nintendo, that single developer comes out with enough quality games to make an entire platform worth owning - no third party developer in the industry churns out quality software as quickly and consistently as Nintendo themselves do.

Bias or no, that's something that's hard to deny.

I actually nearly wrote my dissertation about console exclusives but decided to write it on innovation instead due to the amount of source material available around that theory. However the point is valid, every console maker wants exclusives and i know that the Wii U is getting a lot of negative press at the moment but I think people are jumping on a bandwagon.

Wait until there is low take up of a £499 720/PS4 , how many units will they expect to sell in 3 months? 

I have no doubt that the specs will be "high end" but that doesn't mean great games! 

Aliens CM is a run of the mill shooter, there's very little to appease fans after Prometheus. It's very annoying for this fan, extremely so because the basic foundation of the game is fairly solid. I like some MP modes, but the singleplayer is so dull. If this truly came from fans, I fear for the franchise in videogame form. Round about 6 years in development...

Any Wii U version won't fare significantly better.

( Edited 12.02.2013 11:58 by Linkyshinks )

Image for

This is why you shouldn't buy most games day 1 any more. How many are really worth £30-40?
Only the MP was developed by Gearbox, and apparently, the SP was passed back and forth between different teams. 6 years in development, I'm not surprised it was messed up. Big shame.

The AI is dire..when it should have been focused upon first and foremost, above how the Xeno's move and look, which is great on PC. I played the MP at an event beforehand, and it seemed OK, so I expected the SP to be at the very least decent. The designers at Gearbox gave fans a lot of false hope in how they spoke so passionately about the franchise.

I'm hoping for a major patch, I think the game can be fixed in time, and I think it should be. If the game fails any movie rendition will be very unlikely for 20th.

The Wii U version may benefit from being delayed if they can work on the AI and weaponry mechanics, but I doubt they'll fix the weaponry system given the work they've put into it.

I was always going to buy it as a fan, I bought AvP despite it's average reviews.  6/10 on PC Max

( Edited 15.02.2013 13:39 by Linkyshinks )

I can't say I'm surprised in the least that Aliens turned out shit. It's essentially a movie-game, and when has an Aliens game ever been really good especially in recent years? I cannot fathom why people expected so much of it in the first place.

I can't imagine the WiiU version will be much better to be honest.

I don't get it. The first AvP shooter (1999) was great. If you changed some settings, you could play the Marine campaign coop. That was awesome.

14 years later they manage to mess up a game they've worked on for so long. Even the Upad won't save this one...

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.