Nintendo Wii Media | Dragon Quest Swords Screens [news]

Viewing as a guest Viewing as Guest Last visit: 17.06.2024
Search this topic Search Topic

Welcome to the Cubed3 forums! Join us today - it takes just 20 seconds to start posting! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Generic.

Hopfully it isn't really shallow, but it's certainly nice looking.

XBL Gamertag: James2t3

Looks pretty cool, sounds fairly good - at least it seems like it's being build for Wii and not from some other engine, so hopefully both the controls and gameplay will really shine.

And it's Square Enix, so enough said really.

Cubed3 Admin/Founder & Designer

Looks like we might have a good RPG on our hands here

And it's Square Enix, so enough said really.

Really? They make as much shit as gold these days.

It's going to be shit and you jolly well know it.

I fail to see how this looks any mkore than run-of-the-mill, based on these screens. It looks like typical Japanese RPG nonsense. Just like a million other Jap RPGs.

Just like a million other Jap RPGs.

Cough, Final Fantasy still is amazing even though this thread isn't about FF but a DQ spin-off, cough. Smilie

Really? They make as much shit as gold these days.

I haven't followed Square Enix much recently, but what have they made recently that's been really bad?

Onto this game however, uh, slicing enemies with a sword doesn't all that imaginative...

360 Gamertag: shiptoncraig
PSN: shiptoncraig
Steam: Guess what?

shiptoncraig said:
Just like a million other Jap RPGs.
Cough, Final Fantasy still is amazing even though this thread isnt about FF but a DQ spin-off

Final Fantasy got boring after VIII. How is it still 'amazing' ..!?

It looks like typical Japanese RPG nonsense. Just like a million other Jap RPGs.

Yeah, the only difference is we're actually getting this one.

Looks pretty good, but will no doubt be fairly uninspiring and generic as Oni said.

Well, Final Fantasy actually got better after VIII (upto X anyway) but FFVII still has the edge over them all. Final Fantasy X was just as immersive and fun as those before it.

I've said in another topic a while ago that I find the whole idea of leveling up, gaining new equipment and dealing out those 9999s is just fun, sort of addictive in a way. The stories are also quite good and the music is really memorable. Pretty amazing games.

The stories are also quite good and the music is really memorable.

These are the bits I don't get. I always find the plot ridiculous and the music memorable but shoddy.

It's going to be shit and you jolly well know it.

Not worth buying for the wee
only top quality wii games should be used

My Life & blog: Random Thoughts, Photos, stuff, videos and links
site|blog|twitter

zcollvee said:
Not worth buying for the weeonly top quality wii games should be used

"for the wee"
"top quality wii"

And the console's name is which of the two?Smilie
...That quote has a nice ring to it; "top quality wii"Smilie

~Getting on C3's massive tits since 2K5.~

shiptoncraig said:
Well, Final Fantasy actually got better after VIII (upto X anyway) but FFVII still has the edge over them all. Final Fantasy X was just as immersive and fun as those before it. Ive said in another topic a while ago that I find the whole idea of leveling up, gaining new equipment and dealing out those 9999s is just fun, sort of addictive in a way. The stories are also quite good and the music is really memorable. Pretty amazing games.

Well, I say you're wrong. The plots are shit (and not just plain old normal shit, they're really, really shit), the dialog is grade-A cheese, the old 'level-up' malarky has just been done to death and is no longer remotely interesting, neither are the card-carrying battles which are all about stats, and nothing about actually fighting, and FFVII clearly marks the very pinnacle of Nobuo Uematsu's work. Never since has he been able to compose music that fits so well to what's happening on screen. It's as if the game was made around the music.

We have a difference of opinion, my good man. Japanese RPGs have been descending into complete and utter dross since the late 90s. And you are clearly mistaken about FFX, it was terrible! The series is burnt out, a dead horse. There's only so many different ways to tell the same story, and Square have looong since explored all the good options. So that leaves the shit options which they've been using since FFX.

RPGs that have been coming from Square-Enix in recent years, and other developers like them (or aspiring to be like them), have been one of the worst forms of generic cookie-cutter nonsense around. They are the Japanese EA, my friend.

( Edited on 28.12.2006 06:57 by Oni )

The plots are shit (and not just plain old normal shit, they're really, really shit), the dialog is grade-A cheese

That's a part of the whole RPG thing though, plots which are made to last 60+ hours. The end product is something unusual, but I, and many others, like them. Scripts are also odd but fit well with the weird-like stories. I for one, don't find the cheesiness a bad thing, but it's all subjective.

the old 'level-up' malarky has just been done to death and is no longer remotely interesting, neither are the card-carrying battles which are all about stats, and nothing about actually fighting,

Tactics, magic triangles, timings and knowing how good your characters are wraps up into a nice package. Admittedly, this package has been opened, resealed and used again but like I said, I find it 'fun' (for use of a better word).

Never since has he been able to compose music that fits so well to what's happening on screen. It's as if the game was made around the music.

I suppose I should admit that it's really only certain pieces which I could recommend. Smilie

The series is burnt out, a dead horse. There's only so many different ways to tell the same story, and Square have looong since explored all the good options. So that leaves the shit options which they've been using since FFX.

I agree with that, apart from I thought FFX and it's story was a good change of pace. Sin was different from anything else I've seen before in Final Fantasy.

Oni-Ninja said:
shiptoncraig said:Well, Final Fantasy actually got better after VIII (upto X anyway) but FFVII still has the edge over them all. Final Fantasy X was just as immersive and fun as those before it. Ive said in another topic a while ago that I find the whole idea of leveling up, gaining new equipment and dealing out those 9999s is just fun, sort of addictive in a way. The stories are also quite good and the music is really memorable. Pretty amazing games.
Well, I say youre wrong. The plots are shit (and not just plain old normal shit, theyre really, really shit), the dialog is grade-A cheese, the old level-up malarky has just been done to death and is no longer remotely interesting, neither are the card-carrying battles which are all about stats, and nothing about actually fighting, and FFVII clearly marks the very pinnacle of Nobuo Uematsus work. Never since has he been able to compose music that fits so well to whats happening on screen. Its as if the game was made around the music.We have a difference of opinion, my good man. Japanese RPGs have been descending into complete and utter dross since the late 90s. And you are clearly mistaken about FFX, it was terrible! The series is burnt out, a dead horse. Theres only so many different ways to tell the same story, and Square have looong since explored all the good options. So that leaves the shit options which theyve been using since FFX.RPGs that have been coming from Square-Enix in recent years, and other developers like them (or aspiring to be like them), have been one of the worst forms of generic cookie-cutter nonsense around. They are the Japanese EA, my friend.( Edited on 28.12.2006 06:57 by Oni )

While I agree with everything you just said, I must add...

So the US RPGs that all ripp of Tokin and use the D20 system are ingenious, right? Smilie

Oni-Ninja said:
shiptoncraig said:Well, Final Fantasy actually got better after VIII (upto X anyway) but FFVII still has the edge over them all. Final Fantasy X was just as immersive and fun as those before it. Ive said in another topic a while ago that I find the whole idea of leveling up, gaining new equipment and dealing out those 9999s is just fun, sort of addictive in a way. The stories are also quite good and the music is really memorable. Pretty amazing games.
Well, I say youre wrong. The plots are shit (and not just plain old normal shit, theyre really, really shit), the dialog is grade-A cheese, the old level-up malarky has just been done to death and is no longer remotely interesting, neither are the card-carrying battles which are all about stats, and nothing about actually fighting, and FFVII clearly marks the very pinnacle of Nobuo Uematsus work. Never since has he been able to compose music that fits so well to whats happening on screen. Its as if the game was made around the music.We have a difference of opinion, my good man. Japanese RPGs have been descending into complete and utter dross since the late 90s. And you are clearly mistaken about FFX, it was terrible! The series is burnt out, a dead horse. Theres only so many different ways to tell the same story, and Square have looong since explored all the good options. So that leaves the shit options which theyve been using since FFX.RPGs that have been coming from Square-Enix in recent years, and other developers like them (or aspiring to be like them), have been one of the worst forms of generic cookie-cutter nonsense around. They are the Japanese EA, my friend.

Everybody, kneel before the almighty Oni-Ninja, the know-it-all of all things in Japanese RPG scene Smilie

I have never played Final Fantasy.

No, wait, that's a lie. I once played the NES version, got bored, then went and had a hell of a time in Bionic Commando.

1"We're mentalist psychic Scots , which means we can read your mind. If you're lying, your head explodes and we laugh."

The best thing about the Final Fantasy games is the stories each tell. They may all kind of follow a 'save the world' plot but all have interesting characters with unique plot-twists and turns. The music in them all is also some of the best in any game. 7,8,9,10 all have wonderfully composed music. plus Square-Enix have tried something new with FF12, battles are different, the way your characters become stronger is different.
The main Final Fantasy games are all fantastic. (the only problem I have with any of them is FF9's slooooooooow ATB system)

On topic, The graphics are looking good but I still haven't seen much of the game to know what it's like.

IfritXVII said:
(the only problem I have with any of them is FF9s slooooooooow ATB system)

Ah I remember that. God, it was annoying.

Reply to this topic

To post in the forums please login or sign up to join the Cubed3 community! Sign Up for Free Account Login

Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic

If you are a registered member and logged in, you can also subscribe to topics by email.
Site Feed
Who's Online?
Azuardo

There are 1 members online at the moment.